Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,031 Members 44,690 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Increasing charge to Nexus 7

Tip us?

stildawn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Increasing charge to Nexus 7

Hi All

I am looking to install a Nexus 7 into the dash of my new car. I'm just wondering since the Nexus will only charge when I'm driving the car which means I'll also be using it (playing music, navigation, bluetooth etc).

I'm just wondering if there is a charger type thing that I can buy to increase the voltage or something so that it gets more juice while the car is running?

I haven't hashed out the details yet (I'm getting a professional shop to do the work), but I think it will be wired up to power directly so I dont see any wires?

Anyway and ideas?

Thanks in advance

levicius
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stildawn View Post
Hi All

I am looking to install a Nexus 7 into the dash of my new car. I'm just wondering since the Nexus will only charge when I'm driving the car which means I'll also be using it (playing music, navigation, bluetooth etc).

I'm just wondering if there is a charger type thing that I can buy to increase the voltage or something so that it gets more juice while the car is running?

I haven't hashed out the details yet (I'm getting a professional shop to do the work), but I think it will be wired up to power directly so I dont see any wires?

Anyway and ideas?

Thanks in advance
Haven't never heard about it. But since tech has become crazier everyday maybe there's such a thing.

Enviado de meu Nexus 7 usando Tapatalk

GoneTomorrow
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Hi All

Anyway and ideas?

Thanks in advance
There isn't a way to 'increase the charge', the battery has a fixed capacity of 15Wh. The only thing you can influence is charge time by increasing current (up to a certain level only, as the charge controller will limit the charge current).

It will probably be connected to ignition switched power, as connected it to constant power could pose a battery drain risk.

If you only use it when the car has at least its ignition on, then the Nexus 7 should last, especially if you apply some tweaks to maximise standby battery life.

stildawn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
There isn't a way to 'increase the charge', the battery has a fixed capacity of 15Wh. The only thing you can influence is charge time by increasing current (up to a certain level only, as the charge controller will limit the charge current).

It will probably be connected to ignition switched power, as connected it to constant power could pose a battery drain risk.

If you only use it when the car has at least its ignition on, then the Nexus 7 should last, especially if you apply some tweaks to maximise standby battery life.
Hmm, I did a random test playing music etc with the screen on, and it drained the battery even when plugged in?? So I might need to do some tweaks when its on also.
The Following User Says Thank You to stildawn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MobileBritain
Old
Thanks Meter 21
What are you using to charge the N7? Most car chargers have a low amp output, you need something that will kick out a couple of amps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

stildawn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileBritain View Post
What are you using to charge the N7? Most car chargers have a low amp output, you need something that will kick out a couple of amps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The little test I did was with the wall charger that came with it.

For the car I current have a 5v/1a charger I believe?

GoneTomorrow
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Hmm, I did a random test playing music etc with the screen on, and it drained the battery even when plugged in?? So I might need to do some tweaks when its on also.

Interesting. The stock wall charger is 7W. That should be more than enough to at least break even with the device running, except maybe running demanding games. If it was actually drawing more than the charger can supply then the tablet was consuming more than 7W, which would mean that the battery would be flat in less than 2 hours off charger, which is excessive.

When it's installed in the car, I'd expect they would install a regulated 5v step down behind the dash. I would personally want this to be at least 2A at 5V (10W).

stildawn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
Interesting. The stock wall charger is 7W. That should be more than enough to at least break even with the device running, except maybe running demanding games. If it was actually drawing more than the charger can supply then the tablet was consuming more than 7W, which would mean that the battery would be flat in less than 2 hours off charger, which is excessive.

When it's installed in the car, I'd expect they would install a regulated 5v step down behind the dash. I would personally want this to be at least 2A at 5V (10W).
Um I was running it at full brightness, with wifi on, bluetooth on, and music playing.