Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,422 Members 43,384 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] what happens if the serial number gets scraped off?

Tip us?

caesarAnto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] what happens if the serial number gets scraped off?

hi all,

I've just purchased an LG g2, everything is fine but upon reading the warranty conditions I've found out that the (European, in this case) warranty is considered void if the serial number becomes illegible or damaged. The thing is that the serial number on the rear of the phone seems already quite damageable, half of the sticker is already gone (imei and serial number are still perfectly legible though). Am I missing something here? I don't think the SN on the box would suffice in case I needed to avail myself of the warranty, is that right? sorry but it's my first device so maybe I'm making a blunder here

thank you

vPro97
Old
Thanks Meter 319
I am worried about the very same thing. Mine also started to scrape off I know somebody on here who simply peeled it off and saved it in the box. I don't know.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Please hit the "Thanks" button if you found my post useful !

Optimise the battery life of your LG G2 without root!

caesarAnto
Old
(Last edited by caesarAnto; 19th January 2014 at 11:16 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
wouldn't the removal of the sticker be considered an alteration? I was considering sticking a piece of invisible wrap on it but it all really seems absurd to me

I guess that removing it and sending it along with the phone would be ok after all?

vPro97
Old
Thanks Meter 319
Yes, I thought the very same thing, hence the 'I don't know' in my previous post. I think that's the best idea. I was kinda surprised to see it already started fading despite the fact that I have a case on the phone. Funny thing is, according to Danish law it is prohibited to put on a sticker/anything that is warranty related, that can't last the entire warranty period without fading with normal usage.

caesarAnto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
on some other threads I'm reading of people with other devices peeling it off right away and keeping it in the box; it's got to have its importance since without it I suppose it would be impossible to prove it's the legit phone you're sending (I don't think there's a SN inside the phone too), the question is whether keeping it in the box or on the phone is the same thing, hope there's someone here who knows for sure

vPro97
Old
Thanks Meter 319
I can't find it in the hidden menu nor in the 4636 menu

caesarAnto
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've just peeled off mine, upon further googling it doesn't seem to have much to do with the warranty

bender_007
Old
Thanks Meter 1,394

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarAnto View Post
I've just peeled off mine, upon further googling it doesn't seem to have much to do with the warranty
It's just a sticker.

*#06# = your imei and on some more places. removed mine yesterday.

fr4nk1yn
Old
Thanks Meter 418
First thing I removed. Wife's phone went in for repair and they never asked for serial. They asked for imei but didn't press when told is had to find it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Support Your Local Android Developer. That stuff* is HARD!