FORUMS

How to Root the LG G4 and Install TWRP Recovery – XDA TV

A rooting method has finally been found for the flagship LG G4. In this … more

New Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 Update Fixes Major Bugs

Senior Recognized Developer rovo89 has patched Xposed for Lollipop 5.0 to … more

Download Sony’s new AOSP-like concept for Xperia Z3

Over in our forums, Recognized Contributor Jozinek has posted a very … more

OnePlus 2 vs Moto X Style: Which is The Better Flagship?

Two big industry names have announced their newest flagship phones within the … more

[Q] Is this recovery safe?

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By otacon507, Junior Member on 18th January 2014, 12:20 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I recently installed the rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2285290
It includes AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5
I made a nandroid backup with it (it looks and functions identically to CWM). When I flashed back the EL26 ODIN one-click and tried recovery, the system image failed to flash. My question is: if I need to make a restoration with a system image created in AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5, is that image safe to restore with AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5?

Thanks for reading!
 
 
18th January 2014, 02:17 AM |#2  
tdunham's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
TampaBay
Thanks Meter: 26,104
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon507

I recently installed the rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2285290
It includes AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5
I made a nandroid backup with it (it looks and functions identically to CWM). When I flashed back the EL26 ODIN one-click and tried recovery, the system image failed to flash. My question is: if I need to make a restoration with a system image created in AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5, is that image safe to restore with AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5?

Thanks for reading!

You must restore using the same kernel that you used to create the backup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th January 2014, 08:34 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunham

You must restore using the same kernel that you used to create the backup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

OK, so in every case the 'safe' recover is EL26 (Gingerbread). That is a different kernel than my current ROM runs. So basically, what do I need to do to nandroid backup & recover? Like I CWM failed when doing the above. Next time, are you saying that I:
EL26 CWM-->(flash kernel of ROM backup)-->(restore ROM)-->??
18th January 2014, 01:24 PM |#4  
tdunham's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
TampaBay
Thanks Meter: 26,104
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon507

OK, so in every case the 'safe' recover is EL26 (Gingerbread). That is a different kernel than my current ROM runs. So basically, what do I need to do to nandroid backup & recover? Like I CWM failed when doing the above. Next time, are you saying that I:
EL26 CWM-->(flash kernel of ROM backup)-->(restore ROM)-->??

Yes, you can flash the Agat kernel from EL26 and then restore the CWM to restore the backup.
The Agat is a safe kernel and fine for backup & restore and flashing mods but many phones have issues with flashing entire roms with it (no need to flash a different kernel unless you are reflashing the rom) so we recommend using the older EL26 CWM or EL29 Directboot kernels just for when you're flashing JB roms. The only time you would need EL26 or EL29 is for flashing a fresh JB rom. This why you see instructions for flashing the Project X rom using EL26 or EL29 Directboot and the same applies to any custom JB rom.

Note: Of course, always follow the special flashing instructions that are provided for any custom rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th January 2014, 05:48 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunham

Yes, you can flash the Agat kernel from EL26 and then restore the CWM to restore the backup.
The Agat is a safe kernel and fine for backup & restore and flashing mods but many phones have issues with flashing entire roms with it (no need to flash a different kernel unless you are reflashing the rom) so we recommend using the older EL26 CWM or EL29 Directboot kernels just for when you're flashing JB roms. The only time you would need EL26 or EL29 is for flashing a fresh JB rom. This why you see instructions for flashing the Project X rom using EL26 or EL29 Directboot and the same applies to any custom JB rom.

Note: Of course, always follow the special flashing instructions that are provided for any custom rom.

So the basic procedure in this case would be (from Agat Kernel CFW) --> flash EL26 cwm --> Flash CFW kernel --> restore CFW

Am I understanding you correctly?
19th January 2014, 06:33 PM |#6  
tdunham's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
TampaBay
Thanks Meter: 26,104
 
Donate to Me
More
Not sure why the extra step there.
You created the backup with Agat, you have to use it to restore it too.
If that's what you said, then yeah go for it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 12:31 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
My only concern was with the the fact that the rom is indeed JB based. Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunham

Not sure why the extra step there.
You created the backup with Agat, you have to use it to restore it too.
If that's what you said, then yeah go for it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes