Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is this recovery safe?

Tip us?

otacon507
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Is this recovery safe?

I recently installed the rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2285290
It includes AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5
I made a nandroid backup with it (it looks and functions identically to CWM). When I flashed back the EL26 ODIN one-click and tried recovery, the system image failed to flash. My question is: if I need to make a restoration with a system image created in AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5, is that image safe to restore with AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5?

Thanks for reading!

tdunham
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 15983
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon507 View Post
I recently installed the rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2285290
It includes AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5
I made a nandroid backup with it (it looks and functions identically to CWM). When I flashed back the EL26 ODIN one-click and tried recovery, the system image failed to flash. My question is: if I need to make a restoration with a system image created in AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5, is that image safe to restore with AGAT_Recovery tREC_v0.3.5?

Thanks for reading!
You must restore using the same kernel that you used to create the backup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

otacon507
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunham View Post
You must restore using the same kernel that you used to create the backup.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
OK, so in every case the 'safe' recover is EL26 (Gingerbread). That is a different kernel than my current ROM runs. So basically, what do I need to do to nandroid backup & recover? Like I CWM failed when doing the above. Next time, are you saying that I:
EL26 CWM-->(flash kernel of ROM backup)-->(restore ROM)-->??

tdunham
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 15983
Quote:
Originally Posted by otacon507 View Post
OK, so in every case the 'safe' recover is EL26 (Gingerbread). That is a different kernel than my current ROM runs. So basically, what do I need to do to nandroid backup & recover? Like I CWM failed when doing the above. Next time, are you saying that I:
EL26 CWM-->(flash kernel of ROM backup)-->(restore ROM)-->??
Yes, you can flash the Agat kernel from EL26 and then restore the CWM to restore the backup.
The Agat is a safe kernel and fine for backup & restore and flashing mods but many phones have issues with flashing entire roms with it (no need to flash a different kernel unless you are reflashing the rom) so we recommend using the older EL26 CWM or EL29 Directboot kernels just for when you're flashing JB roms. The only time you would need EL26 or EL29 is for flashing a fresh JB rom. This why you see instructions for flashing the Project X rom using EL26 or EL29 Directboot and the same applies to any custom JB rom.

Note: Of course, always follow the special flashing instructions that are provided for any custom rom.
The Following User Says Thank You to tdunham For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

otacon507
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Yes, you can flash the Agat kernel from EL26 and then restore the CWM to restore the backup.
The Agat is a safe kernel and fine for backup & restore and flashing mods but many phones have issues with flashing entire roms with it (no need to flash a different kernel unless you are reflashing the rom) so we recommend using the older EL26 CWM or EL29 Directboot kernels just for when you're flashing JB roms. The only time you would need EL26 or EL29 is for flashing a fresh JB rom. This why you see instructions for flashing the Project X rom using EL26 or EL29 Directboot and the same applies to any custom JB rom.

Note: Of course, always follow the special flashing instructions that are provided for any custom rom.
So the basic procedure in this case would be (from Agat Kernel CFW) --> flash EL26 cwm --> Flash CFW kernel --> restore CFW

Am I understanding you correctly?

tdunham
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 15983
Not sure why the extra step there.
You created the backup with Agat, you have to use it to restore it too.
If that's what you said, then yeah go for it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

otacon507
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
My only concern was with the the fact that the rom is indeed JB based. Thanks for the help

Quote:
Not sure why the extra step there.
You created the backup with Agat, you have to use it to restore it too.
If that's what you said, then yeah go for it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app