5,600,483 Members 32,695 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

need to restore phone but how do I keep jelly bean ?

Tip us?
 
jroyjohnson
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 56
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default need to restore phone but how do I keep jelly bean ?

I hope someone can help with a dilemma I have.

I need to flash back to stock rom and do a factory reset on my AT&T SGIII - this I know how to do . However, what I don't know is if the links I've found for tar files for a stock restore (like the one posted here)are for the ice cream sandwich version that launched with the phone, or the newer jelly bean version.

If it is the older version, once I'm done restoring it back to stock and factory settings, will I get an option to update to jelly bean thru AT&T?
Or do I need to find a stock AT&T jelly bean file to flash? If so, where do I find that?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks
 
bleedingthru
Old
#2  
bleedingthru's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 140
Posts: 709
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyjohnson View Post
I hope someone can help with a dilemma I have.

I need to flash back to stock rom and do a factory reset on my AT&T SGIII - this I know how to do . However, what I don't know is if the links I've found for tar files for a stock restore (like the one posted here)are for the ice cream sandwich version that launched with the phone, or the newer jelly bean version.

If it is the older version, once I'm done restoring it back to stock and factory settings, will I get an option to update to jelly bean thru AT&T?
Or do I need to find a stock AT&T jelly bean file to flash? If so, where do I find that?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks
this shouldnt be posted here check the general section for going back to stock
Originally Posted by Nick281051
It makes it so that you don't have to wear pants when you press it. Doesn't matter where you are.
 
audit13
Old
#3  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 271
Posts: 1,683
Join Date: Jun 2012
Did you update your phone to AT&T 4.3 stock rom via an OTA update? If you did, do not flash any rom that includes an older bootloader as the flash will brick your phone.
 
jroyjohnson
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 56
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Did you update your phone to AT&T 4.3 stock rom via an OTA update? If you did, do not flash any rom that includes an older bootloader as the flash will brick your phone.
No. Ever since going to the Sonic FreeGS3 Resurrection rom, I have been on the 4.1.1 version. I've never been to a more current version than that since that was the last version update for this rom and I liked it just fine.

Even though I'm not wild about having to return to stock, I am at least excited about (hopefully) being able to go up to the latest version released by AT&T. But I wasn't sure if I need to flash a stock 4.3 version AT&T rom (or even where to find that) or if I could just flash the original released stock rom and then be prompted with OTA updates to go to the newer versions.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.
 
audit13
Old
#5  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 271
Posts: 1,683
Join Date: Jun 2012
The latest version of the AT&T ROM is 4.3 which can be done via an OTA update or Kies from a stock 4.1.1 AT&T ROM.

Any reason you need to return to stock? Personally, I would not go near 4.3 as it's not required to install KK ROMS and, once on 4.3, rooting, etc. becomes more complicated.
 
jroyjohnson
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 56
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
The latest version of the AT&T ROM is 4.3 which can be done via an OTA update or Kies from a stock 4.1.1 AT&T ROM.

Any reason you need to return to stock? Personally, I would not go near 4.3 as it's not required to install KK ROMS and, once on 4.3, rooting, etc. becomes more complicated.
I have to for work. That's the only reason I'm going back to a stock rom. Plus I want to trade my phone in after a few more months once my contract is up.
Tags
jelly bean 4.1.1, restore, samsung s 3, unroot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

TasGear: A Tasker Extension for the Samsung Galaxy Gear

With wearable technology taking center stage this year, one can only expect more … more

Intelligently Place Contacts on Your Home Screen with CallWho Widget

There are plenty of ways to get your contacts to show up on your … more

Control TWRP from within Android with TWRP Coordinator

You may recall that back when TWRP2 introduced a couple of years ago, it brought with … more

Keep Track of Everything Your Device Does with Event Logger

Regardless of their OS choice, computing power users generally share one common … more