Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,734 Members 40,747 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone stuck on Samsung Galaxy S III screen after aborted 4.3 update!

Tip us?

ctbaker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Phone stuck on Samsung Galaxy S III screen after aborted 4.3 update!

Hi,

I went and rooted, unlocked the bootloader and THOUGHT that CWM Touch Recovery was installed using the Beans script on a 4.1.2 Galaxy S3. I went ahead and told the phone to take the OTA as I thought that it would reject it and then not ask any more. After part way through the install, I pulled the battery because I realized (pretty sure) that the CWM recovery hadn't installed properly and the stock recovery had booted up at the end of the script process.

Now the phone gets stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S III screen and wont boot. I can get into download mode and see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

What do I do now? Am I committed to using Odin to put on the Verizon official 4.3 Firmware and can I do something else?

Thanks!

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbaker View Post
Hi,

I went and rooted, unlocked the bootloader and THOUGHT that CWM Touch Recovery was installed using the Beans script on a 4.1.2 Galaxy S3. I went ahead and told the phone to take the OTA as I thought that it would reject it and then not ask any more. After part way through the install, I pulled the battery because I realized (pretty sure) that the CWM recovery hadn't installed properly and the stock recovery had booted up at the end of the script process.

Now the phone gets stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S III screen and wont boot. I can get into download mode and see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

What do I do now? Am I committed to using Odin to put on the Verizon official 4.3 Firmware and can I do something else?

Thanks!
Follow the instructions here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616987

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ctbaker
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Follow the instructions here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616987

Can I go back to 4.1.2 based on the reported text showing up on the download mode screen or must I go to 4.3?

Thanks!

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 741
Quote:
Can I go back to 4.1.2 based on the reported text showing up on the download mode screen or must I go to 4.3?

Thanks!
Go back to 4.1.2

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ctbaker
Old
(Last edited by ctbaker; 20th January 2014 at 03:42 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Go back to 4.1.2

Thank you! Applied the firmware via Odin and I am back in business! You just kept my wife from killing me!

I see what the problem was now. When performing the Insecure Boot flash and Recovery flash, I needed to grant the ADB super user request on my phone. But because the lock screen was on instead of being "in" the phone, I didn't see it and thus the bootloader was not unlocked nor was recovery installed. When going through the process this time, I had unlocked the bootloader and saw the request and this time things went flawlessly!
The Following User Says Thank You to ctbaker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 741
Quote:
Thank you! Applied the firmware via Odin and I am back in business! You just kept my wife from killing me!
Haha, glad to help.