Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,848 Members 37,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

When using a MHL HDMI adapter I get no mobile network

Tip us?

jayally
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default When using a MHL HDMI adapter I get no mobile network

I bought a pioneer x8500 stereo for my car with an HDMI output. I purchased what looks like an official MHL adapter on Amazon for $28. Each time I plug the cable into the Pioneer I completely lose all mobile data, I cannot even make or receive phone calls and have a circle with a line through it in the notification bar. I can see my screen on the headunit and do everything, even use Wi-fi but no mobile data, which is really important! When I unplug it I get it all back. I tried the MHL on a TV using the HDMI and I can see the screen same as on the pioneer but still no network until I unplug it.

I have a SCH-i545 rooted S4 running 4.3. Kernel 3.4.0. SE for Android status is enforcing. I had the verizon antivirus installed but removed it. I don't know if its something on my phone preventing the connections or the adapter is defective.

I have tried everything I can think of, even wrapping the adapter in tinfoil but nothing helps. I have a Garmin external GPS plugged in below the stereo and the satellite loses its signal when this is plugged in. It may be a coincidence but I have never had that happen before.

FordNate
Old
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayally View Post
I bought a pioneer x8500 stereo for my car with an HDMI output. I purchased what looks like an official MHL adapter on Amazon for $28. Each time I plug the cable into the Pioneer I completely lose all mobile data, I cannot even make or receive phone calls and have a circle with a line through it in the notification bar. I can see my screen on the headunit and do everything, even use Wi-fi but no mobile data, which is really important! When I unplug it I get it all back. I tried the MHL on a TV using the HDMI and I can see the screen same as on the pioneer but still no network until I unplug it.

I have a SCH-i545 rooted S4 running 4.3. Kernel 3.4.0. SE for Android status is enforcing. I had the verizon antivirus installed but removed it. I don't know if its something on my phone preventing the connections or the adapter is defective.

I have tried everything I can think of, even wrapping the adapter in tinfoil but nothing helps. I have a Garmin external GPS plugged in below the stereo and the satellite loses its signal when this is plugged in. It may be a coincidence but I have never had that happen before.
I have the red cord if that makes sense. (It was cheaper and was supposed to work but never did). You have the bpx looking one correct? Little white/red/whatever. Do you plug the power in on it? Try switching how you plug it into power.. i.e first plug in adapter count to 10 or 20 then phone. Or plug in all at oonce and radio last.. Just throwing things out there that i've seen on reviews from otherbuyers of em
Device:
Samsung Galaxy S 4
Phillz cwm loki'd Recovery

HTC Incredible2Retired
4ext Recovery

jayally
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordNate View Post
I have the red cord if that makes sense. (It was cheaper and was supposed to work but never did). You have the bpx looking one correct? Little white/red/whatever. Do you plug the power in on it? Try switching how you plug it into power.. i.e first plug in adapter count to 10 or 20 then phone. Or plug in all at oonce and radio last.. Just throwing things out there that i've seen on reviews from otherbuyers of em

I bought a genuine Samsung adapter and it was heavier and packaged different than the samsung one that I sent back to Amazon, it works fine now. It even charges my phone using a USB cable plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter. My other car adapter kept making the HDMI cutout and I think it just didn't have enough power. I am still trying to learn and get tasker to work properly and so far I am able to start up my music player and then launch Waze on the phone so I have GPS and Music on the big screen. I also use screenstandby so the phone screen saves power. On the radio side I have Mixtrax working with a 32GB mircosd card plugged into a USB stick, (that took a while to figure out because it DOES NOT work with apple) an 16GB SD card with Movies, my160GB Ipod with songs, Audiobooks and Mixtrax EZ, a DVD in the player and my phone for pandora via bluetooth but when I use Pandora I have to reconnect AVliberator. I wish I could have Waze working from my phone and my Ipod music player through the speakers. As soon as I get it all working perfectly I am going to do a video tutorial for those that had my same issues but no where to figure out how to solve them. I have a parking brake bypass switch installed that I have to click everytime I launch the phone so I can view the screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayally For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]