Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Does using Odin erase phone?

OP iEnjoyDriods

17th January 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

21 posts
I am currently MJ7 root and I disabled the update notification because I didn't feel like updating to MJE at the time. I want to know first, can I just Odin up to MJE then kingo or I do need to Odin MJ7 stock then update via OTA then kingo. Also, will using Odin to switch to stock wipe my phone. I didn't feel like updating when MJE came out because its such a hassle to have to set up my phone again.
17th January 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bloomington, IL
Thanks Meter: 883

1,275 posts
More
For updating to the current revision, either way is acceptable. And as far is odin wiping everything, I believe the answer is yes. I don't think I remember it not wiping everything.

♢NoteIII♢
20th January 2014, 11:31 AM   |  #3  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 20

178 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnjoyDriods

I am currently MJ7 root and I disabled the update notification because I didn't feel like updating to MJE at the time. I want to know first, can I just Odin up to MJE then kingo or I do need to Odin MJ7 stock then update via OTA then kingo. Also, will using Odin to switch to stock wipe my phone. I didn't feel like updating when MJE came out because its such a hassle to have to set up my phone again.

Hi, you can use ODIN to flash the MJE then factory reset data in Recovery Mode and then Kingo...this is direct method...and preferred...

Follow this steps:
1.Download ODIN 3.09 and MJE Firmware Full Stock ROM 1.3 GB, Boot into Stock Recovery using Vol Up+Home+Power Button, Wipe Factory Reset/Data & Wipe Cache Partition, Reboot the device, as soon as screen goes black press Vol Down+Home Button to enter Download mode and connect the device to PC...then flash the MJE firmware...
2. After flashing boot again into Stock Recovery using Vol Up+Home+Power Button, Wipe Factory Reset/Data & Wipe Cache Partition
3. Use Kingo to root the device and make sure that Screen Display time is set to 10 Minutes..because u have to accept some confirmation while Kingo is rooting the device...

Of course if you flash a new firmware using ODIN then it will wipe the phone but not completely thats why it is mandatory to factory reset data after flashing firmware through ODIN...(but still it doesn't wipe the phone completely)

To completely Wipe the phone follow this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2610757

Make sure you back up your important files before flashing any firmware...

Cheers!!!
Last edited by moin786; 24th January 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread