Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 51,855 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kernels and Custom ROMs

Tip us?

yogi217
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] Kernels and Custom ROMs

I am wondering how Kernel and ROM compatibility work, in simple terms. How do I know if a Kernel will work with a custom ROM?

For example, I was on a rom which came with M-Kernel, lean kernel, and stock kernel as options. I also am using Franco kernel on my phone. I've just flashed a new rom that did not have a kernel choice. How would I know if could use M-Kernel (or any kernel for that matter) with this ROM?

I know sometimes ROMs will list what kernels are recommended and some kernel pages will recommend roms, but what if they don't? Can any kernel work on any rom?

Thank you!

killall
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Each kernel thread will list what type of ROM they work on, AOKP, AOSP, Stock etc.

You can't always use any kernel you need to check the thread.
i9505 - Stock 4.4.2 / N7 FLO - CleanRom 2.6 / Chromecast - Eureka 2.0
Quote:
A hacker to me is someone creative who does wonderful things.......Tim Berners-Lee
The Following User Says Thank You to killall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Abadroza
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I'm actualy on AndroidParanoid 4+ Beta2 by Nims11 (i9100), Not the best perfomance, but this is still beta phase. And I'm litle confuse about kernel. Which one is the best option for this ROM? Any experience. Thanks.