Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Getting rid of system apps

Tip us?

dochuebi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Getting rid of system apps

Hi,

not again this question? Well... i am able to get rif of some system apps I've done this getting temp root via fre3vo within adb shell. After getting root (#) i deleted the amazonmp3 and the flashplayer.as well as the /data/data/xxx dor and deleting the .dex file from dalvik cahce.

Everything was ok.... until i siwtch my phone off and on. After that the Appmanager from settings still showed me both apps are still there, and after a while they did appear again in the app menui.

Funny thing: they do not popup in the playstore asking for updating them,

Has this something to do that i have still have S-ON? From where are those apps recovered?

What i found out: first time i removed via rm install_flashplayer-1.apk, but now i have in the system/app folder an apk named install-flashplayer.apk, without the -1.

MY intention was to get rid of some of those unnecessary apps like flashplayer, facebook, twitter and so on. I know that i will not gain any memory. I choosed this way to get rid of them cause i like to avoid all this wiping/downgrading loosing data and settings. I just want to get rid of this stuff cause i dont want have apps having those system righty and they do bother my all over again requesting updates.

I then tried to get S-OFF using the official way via htcdev, but when i tried to get the identifier token i'm getting

Quote:
C:\>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
(bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

What did i made wrong so far? My rom is version 2.42.405.4 which i assume is newer then the version on the page saying you need to update hboot if you have 2.42.405.2.

Any hint on how to get rid off those apps without dorngrading, installing a custom recovery and so on are welcome.

//Huebi

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2621
Depending on how you deleted them you may need to delete some data/app-lib too maybe wipe cache and dalvik too. You won't get s-off with htcdev, just an unlocked bootloader and a headache
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2348266
If you don't want to gain true radio s-off (which I highly recommend but your choice) then temp root and install an app like titanium backup that will remove all residue of an app not just the .apk for you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dochuebi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
Depending on how you deleted them you may need to delete some data/app-lib too maybe wipe cache and dalvik too....
If you don't want to gain true radio s-off (which I highly recommend but your choice) then temp root and install an app like titanium backup that will remove all residue of an app not just the .apk for you
I've written that i deleted the corresponding entries in the /data/date dir as well as in the dalvik-cache. I understand that helper do need as lot of information as possible but i do not understand why given information in not read.

tmp root means you have root in the adb shell. Can you please explain how i can move this to apps like root explorer or titanium?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2621
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1178912
You'll find your information here

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dochuebi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
Thx for the link, followed everything, especially point i-3, but unfortunetly, titanium doesnt get root (nor any other app either)

eberything is there, script, su, busybox, apk, und i checked wht the script was doing and everythin looks ok