Best Alarm App for Android?

There are tons of choices to choose from when looking for a great alarm app for Android. While the stock … more

Unofficial CM12.1 Available for Moto E 2014

While Motorola is yet to release a final 5.0.2 build for the Moto E 2014, XDA Senior … more

Pinsy Brings Social Sketching To Your Watch & Phone

Did you watch Apple’s VP draw on his wrist during the Apple Watch announcement … more

CyanogenMod 12.1 for Samsung Galaxy S5

Android 5.1 is slowly putting its mark in the custom ROM world. CyanogenMod 12.1 is available to … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

BlueTooth 4.0: BLE device to play with

18th January 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 436
 
1,527 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Hi.

I'd like to experiment with a new feature provided by Nokia's "Black update", BT 4.0 with new protocol for "Low Energy" devices (BLE).

Could somebody recommend me some cheap device with open/known protocol, to play with?

Also, if you have knowledge (somehow; I know, there is NO info at all but ) about new API/protocols (even it's not documented or available yet), could you please share?

Thanks!
Last edited by sensboston; 19th January 2014 at 01:38 AM.
18th January 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #2  
thals1992's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Meter: 223
 
646 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
More
If you can find a used FitBit, that would be a good start. I think I saw some third party apps in the store already.
18th January 2014, 09:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 436
 
1,527 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thals1992

I think I saw some third party apps in the store already.

BLE support is available for the handsets with Nokia's Black update only; I don't think there are some apps in the store 'cause Nokia just started distribution of the Black update. Or supported Fitbits are using their custom API and standard BT...
19th January 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Sydney, AU
Thanks Meter: 34
 
557 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2006
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston

Hi.

I'd like to experiment with a new feature provided by Nokia's "Black update", BT 4.0 with new protocol for "Low Energy" devices (BLE).

Could somebody recommend me some cheap device with open/known protocol, to play with?

Also, if you have knowledge (somehow; I know, there is NO info at all but ) about new API/protocols (even it's not documented or available yet), could you please share?

Thanks!

Pebble watch has two apps in store now and has bt le support. I picked one up for $100, they are cheap now that the steel has been announced.
20th January 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 436
 
1,527 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgan

Pebble watch has two apps in store now and has bt le support. I picked one up for $100, they are cheap now that the steel has been announced.

Hmm, I'm very confused... It sounds like current WP8 already supports BLE, right? However why Nokia said it's a "Black update" only feature?
Is anybody knows the answer?
20th January 2014, 08:05 AM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Germany
Thanks Meter: 29
 
125 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston

Hmm, I'm very confused... It sounds like current WP8 already supports BLE, right? However why Nokia said it's a "Black update" only feature?
Is anybody knows the answer?

It was a Software limitation from the OS. Now with Nokia Black you also are getting the GDR3 Update. And not the Nokia Black update give you BLE, its the GDR3
The Following User Says Thank You to dergutehirte For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 02:15 PM   |  #7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 436
 
1,527 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dergutehirte

It was a Software limitation from the OS. Now with Nokia Black you also are getting the GDR3 Update. And not the Nokia Black update give you BLE, its the GDR3

Thanks for explanation! By the way, Android introduced a new API functionality to work with BLE; do you know, what about WP8+GDR3? Should/can I still use an "old way" (PeerFinder + StreamSocket) or there are some new APIs for BLE?
Last edited by sensboston; 20th January 2014 at 05:42 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes