Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,550 Members 51,692 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

BlueTooth 4.0: BLE device to play with

Tip us?

sensboston
Old
(Last edited by sensboston; 19th January 2014 at 01:38 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Default BlueTooth 4.0: BLE device to play with

Hi.

I'd like to experiment with a new feature provided by Nokia's "Black update", BT 4.0 with new protocol for "Low Energy" devices (BLE).

Could somebody recommend me some cheap device with open/known protocol, to play with?

Also, if you have knowledge (somehow; I know, there is NO info at all but ) about new API/protocols (even it's not documented or available yet), could you please share?

Thanks!

thals1992
Old
Thanks Meter 207

DONATE TO ME
If you can find a used FitBit, that would be a good start. I think I saw some third party apps in the store already.

sensboston
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thals1992 View Post
I think I saw some third party apps in the store already.
BLE support is available for the handsets with Nokia's Black update only; I don't think there are some apps in the store 'cause Nokia just started distribution of the Black update. Or supported Fitbits are using their custom API and standard BT...

norgan
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston View Post
Hi.

I'd like to experiment with a new feature provided by Nokia's "Black update", BT 4.0 with new protocol for "Low Energy" devices (BLE).

Could somebody recommend me some cheap device with open/known protocol, to play with?

Also, if you have knowledge (somehow; I know, there is NO info at all but ) about new API/protocols (even it's not documented or available yet), could you please share?

Thanks!
Pebble watch has two apps in store now and has bt le support. I picked one up for $100, they are cheap now that the steel has been announced.
Hardware:
Nokia Lumia 920 Black
Windows Phone 8 8.0.10211.204
Moto Razr M XT905
Carbon JB Nightly
Carrier:
Internode (Optus AU)

My Blog - Technologman.com

Think and Search before you post!

sensboston
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgan View Post
Pebble watch has two apps in store now and has bt le support. I picked one up for $100, they are cheap now that the steel has been announced.
Hmm, I'm very confused... It sounds like current WP8 already supports BLE, right? However why Nokia said it's a "Black update" only feature?
Is anybody knows the answer?

dergutehirte
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensboston View Post
Hmm, I'm very confused... It sounds like current WP8 already supports BLE, right? However why Nokia said it's a "Black update" only feature?
Is anybody knows the answer?
It was a Software limitation from the OS. Now with Nokia Black you also are getting the GDR3 Update. And not the Nokia Black update give you BLE, its the GDR3
The Following User Says Thank You to dergutehirte For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sensboston
Old
(Last edited by sensboston; 20th January 2014 at 05:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dergutehirte View Post
It was a Software limitation from the OS. Now with Nokia Black you also are getting the GDR3 Update. And not the Nokia Black update give you BLE, its the GDR3
Thanks for explanation! By the way, Android introduced a new API functionality to work with BLE; do you know, what about WP8+GDR3? Should/can I still use an "old way" (PeerFinder + StreamSocket) or there are some new APIs for BLE?