5,603,646 Members 37,181 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [Answered] Questions before atempting to install CM

Tip us?

Nijin
Old
(Last edited by Nijin; 20th January 2014 at 05:34 PM.) Reason: [Answered] Tag added
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] [Answered] Questions before atempting to install CM

Hello xda-developers,

My TF300T was becoming very slow in the last few months so I decided to reset it to do a "fresh start". While doing so I would also like to upgrade my ROM. (Im currently running Android 4.1 with CleanRom 3.2).

I'm using the CWM Recovery 6.0.1.3 and would like to upgrade to CyanogenMod 10.2 (Stable - the *.zip file from the CM-website)

By reading several threads there seems to be some problems with current Android Versions and older bootloaders. My question is now:

Can I simply flash the new CM-zip with my recovery (After doing the factory reset) - or is there anything else I have to watch out for?

Thanks for your help in advance!

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijin View Post
Hello xda-developers,

My TF300T was becoming very slow in the last few months so I decided to reset it to do a "fresh start". While doing so I would also like to upgrade my ROM. (Im currently running Android 4.1 with CleanRom 3.2).

I'm using the CWM Recovery 6.0.1.3 and would like to upgrade to CyanogenMod 10.2 (Stable - the *.zip file from the CM-website)

By reading several threads there seems to be some problems with current Android Versions and older bootloaders. My question is now:

Can I simply flash the new CM-zip with my recovery (After doing the factory reset) - or is there anything else I have to watch out for?

If you are on a 4.1 ROM you probably need to upgrade your bootloader first.
The easiest way is to flash the latest ASUS stock ROM, then do a factory reset and after that flash recovery and your new ROM.

There are several ways to accomplish this, all covered in detail in several threads.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cmendonc2
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Hello xda-developers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by f69m View Post
The easiest way is to flash the latest ASUS stock ROM, then do a factory reset and after that flash recovery and your new ROM.

There are several ways to accomplish this, all covered in detail in several threads.

When you upgrade your bootloader, you will need to upgrade your recovery as well to a -42 TWRP if you are flashing CM10.2 or TWRP 2.6.3.1 for KitKat.
My Devices:

[Retired] Nook Color (CM10)

LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C (Stock, rooted)

Asus Tf300t (CM11)

Transformers: Install NvFlash for JellyBean Transformer bootloader to become unbrickable HERE Guide: Here!
Wantfree phone and tablet accessories or Google Play gift cards? Go HERE
The Following User Says Thank You to cmendonc2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nijin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2 View Post
When you upgrade your bootloader, you will need to upgrade your recovery as well to a -42 TWRP if you are flashing CM10.2 or TWRP 2.6.3.1 for KitKat.
Alright, get Asus Stock from their website, install that, then reset and flash recovery (TWRP - what exactly does the "-42" mean?) After that I'm good to install CM.

Okay, I think I understood - thanks!

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Quote:
Alright, get Asus Stock from their website, install that, then reset and flash recovery (TWRP - what exactly does the "-42" mean?) After that I'm good to install CM.
Oops, got the order wrong: first flash recovery, then do the factory reset using recovery. Don't use the wipe option on the bootloader screen.

There are several versions of TWRP, usually named -ics, -jb and -42.
Don't use the -ics or -jb versions with the new bootloader, but use a -42 version for flashing CM 10.
For flashing CM 11 you need yet another variant of TWRP that is not available from the official download site. Check the CM 11 thread for a download link.

Be careful, using the wrong recovery can result in an expensive brick.

The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nijin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Oops, got the order wrong: first flash recovery, then do the factory reset using recovery. Don't use the wipe option on the bootloader screen.

There are several versions of TWRP, usually named -ics, -jb and -42.
Don't use the -ics or -jb versions with the new bootloader, but use a -42 version for flashing CM 10.
For flashing CM 11 you need yet another variant of TWRP that is not available from the official download site. Check the CM 11 thread for a download link.

Be careful, using the wrong recovery can result in an expensive brick.

Ah okay - but this leaves another question: Why exactly do I need the Asus ROM when I already have a 4.2 recovery? Shouldn't Cyanogenmod 10.2 take care of the bootloader then?

Thanks for your help!

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 393
Quote:
Ah okay - but this leaves another question: Why exactly do I need the Asus ROM when I already have a 4.2 recovery? Shouldn't Cyanogenmod 10.2 take care of the bootloader then?
No, CM does not include a bootloader. That is only included in the stock ROM.
That bootloader runs early before the CM Linux kernel is loaded.

The "4.2" recovery only means that it works with the updated bootloader ASUS introduced with the Android 4.2 update. Sorry, I know it is confusing. Thank ASUS for giving us all those incompatible bootloader versions.

Nijin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
No, CM does not include a bootloader. That is only included in the stock ROM.
That bootloader runs early before the CM Linux kernel is loaded.

The "4.2" recovery only means that it works with the updated bootloader ASUS introduced with the Android 4.2 update. Sorry, I know it is confusing. Thank ASUS for giving us all those incompatible bootloader versions.

Okay, this makes sense (kind of). I think I know everything now - I'l try to update when I get a little free time. Thanks for your help!