Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Stuck on MK2 modem, how do I get back to MDL? Have tried everything!

OP akates

19th January 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

33 posts
So I updated my modem to MK2 (kept MDL bootloader) in order to try some of the 4.3 ROMs but I haven't been a fan. Now I want to go back to 4.2 but absolutely cannot get the MDL modem back? I've tried flashing in ODIN and even though it says it passed it's still MK2. I've tried this on both 4.3 ROMs and 4.2 ROMs. I got so desperate that I've even wiped everything, installed the completely stock MDL ROM through ODIN and it's STILL MK2!! How do I get MDL back, is it even possible? I'm finding I'm stuck with 1-2 bars of both LTE and HSPA+ when before on MDL ROM and MDL radio I had full bars and 38Mbps LTE and 25Mbps HSPA+. Now I have nowhere near that. This sucks! Any help would be appreciated!
19th January 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

66 posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I do like the 4.3 Roms but I've yet to get more than 2 bars anywhere I go. The only way I can get more than 2 bars is if I'm standing next to a tower. Lol. I'm thinking we need the modem.bin for MDL and flash via Odin in the phone slot, not the PDA slot. But what do I know.?
Maybe someone smarter than me can fill me in.lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
20th January 2014, 03:41 AM   |  #3  
Flag ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Thanks Meter: 558

1,580 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akates

So I updated my modem to MK2 (kept MDL bootloader) in order to try some of the 4.3 ROMs but I haven't been a fan. Now I want to go back to 4.2 but absolutely cannot get the MDL modem back? I've tried flashing in ODIN and even though it says it passed it's still MK2. I've tried this on both 4.3 ROMs and 4.2 ROMs. I got so desperate that I've even wiped everything, installed the completely stock MDL ROM through ODIN and it's STILL MK2!! How do I get MDL back, is it even possible? I'm finding I'm stuck with 1-2 bars of both LTE and HSPA+ when before on MDL ROM and MDL radio I had full bars and 38Mbps LTE and 25Mbps HSPA+. Now I have nowhere near that. This sucks! Any help would be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlaltdeln

I'm in the same boat as you. I do like the 4.3 Roms but I've yet to get more than 2 bars anywhere I go. The only way I can get more than 2 bars is if I'm standing next to a tower. Lol. I'm thinking we need the modem.bin for MDL and flash via Odin in the phone slot, not the PDA slot. But what do I know.?
Maybe someone smarter than me can fill me in.lol

Try this. If it doesn't stick the first time, try it again. It may take a few flashes, or it may work on the first shot. Either way, you can downgrade the modem with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to lordcheeto03 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 04:30 AM   |  #4  
Flag Bakersfield, California
Thanks Meter: 3,123

5,386 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up re: MK2 modem
Quote:

I don't know why you want to go back to the mdl modem, the mk2 is an improvement for
sure and it works perfectly with any of the cwm/twrp flashable 4.2.2 & 4.3 custom roms.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterjunky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 12:30 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 196

535 posts
More
MK2 modem works fine for me on 4.3 and 4.2.2. Why dg?

The Following User Says Thank You to xdapowerapps For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 12

66 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdapowerapps

MK2 modem works fine for me on 4.3 and 4.2.2. Why dg?

Maybe its just the phone mis-interpreting the signal strength, but, I get 1 bar of signal where I used to get 3 bars. Data speeds do test slower, but are still pretty acceptable. Tried multiple ROM/kernel combinations. Thanks for the help.

20th January 2014, 05:05 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

33 posts
I was definitely getting less bars and slower speeds on MK2 modem while on MDL ROM but was finally able to downgrade the modem by using mobile odin and extracting the modem.bin file from the TAR for the flash.

It could have been a coincidence that the speeds were lower when I was on MK2 modem and MDL rom as when I first downgraded to MDL modem, the bars/speed was still slower and it's now faster this morning. At least I can now go back and forth on the modem if needed!
20th January 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #8  
Flag Bakersfield, California
Thanks Meter: 3,123

5,386 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up re: signal bars
Quote:

I was definitely getting less bars and slower speeds on MK2 modem while on MDL ROM but was finally able to downgrade the modem by using mobile odin and extracting the modem.bin file from the TAR for the flash.

It could have been a coincidence that the speeds were lower when I was on MK2 modem and MDL rom as when I first downgraded to MDL modem, the bars/speed was still slower and it's now faster this morning. At least I can now go back and forth on the modem if needed!

Who knows, if your lucky your signal and speed may increase tomorrow
morning by just walking a few steps north, south, east or west. LOL

Here where I live my signal changes when I move just a few feet in either direction.

That's why it makes me laugh whenever I see someone posting about one or two bar signal differences.
20th January 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 196

535 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky

Who knows, if your lucky your signal and speed may increase tomorrow
morning by just walking a few steps north, south, east or west. LOL

Here where I live my signal changes when I move just a few feet in either direction.

That's why it makes me laugh whenever I see someone posting about one or two bar signal differences.

I've built communications towers and their cellular layout designs, resource allocation and signaling load calculations. I can confirm your situation when moving only a few feet in one direction can yield more signal. In reality, signals are an erratic "heartbeat" and zig-zag rapidly while hitting abs top and bottom freqs. It is hard to describe but easy to reproduce, it is why some people raise their phone to the sky in the same location to try and get a better signal.

The Following User Says Thank You to xdapowerapps For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread