5,594,151 Members 45,660 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why IE cannot run app:// uri?

Tip us?

yjcbn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Why IE cannot run app:// uri?

I made a page(wp8fans.tk/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=81) to test some Uri,but I found the app:// Uri cannot be run,why?

the second question:
is that more Uri types for Windows Phone 8?or just Zune:// Bing:// and app://?

third question:
I know Bing://home/ is "run Bing",but is that more instructions for Bing://?

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2463
Either IE doesn't have the permissions (Capability) to launch apps, or it blocks that URI scheme, or it opens URIs in a way that doesn't support app://, or some combination thereof.

There are tons of URI types for Win8. Leaving aside app-specific ones, there are the MS settings URI schemes (which let you launch items in the Settings hub directly; this is how things like tiles that take you directly to Flight Mode work), and of course various standard ones (HTTP and HTTPS work, haven't tested FTP, I think IE blocks FILE...)
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yjcbn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Either IE doesn't have the permissions (Capability) to launch apps, or it blocks that URI scheme, or it opens URIs in a way that doesn't support app://, or some combination thereof.

There are tons of URI types for Win8. Leaving aside app-specific ones, there are the MS settings URI schemes (which let you launch items in the Settings hub directly; this is how things like tiles that take you directly to Flight Mode work), and of course various standard ones (HTTP and HTTPS work, haven't tested FTP, I think IE blocks FILE...)
Thanks.Can you please tell me all the MS setting URIs?

silvestro1
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcbn View Post
Thanks.Can you please tell me all the MS setting URIs?
here you go!
The Following User Says Thank You to silvestro1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thals1992
Old
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
I believe there's more in there than Microsoft tells us. I think I recall seeing a way to directly launch Internet Sharing and a few others.
The Following User Says Thank You to thals1992 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]