Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Problem writing to SD card

OP Swizzy88

20th January 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

184 posts
Has anyone else experienced problems writing files to external SD card just lately? All I know is that the SD card works fine If I use it on the computer with a card reader.

For instance if I copy 300mb of titaniumbackup files it will randomly stop in the process and tell me there is a problem writing the files. This also happens with other files. I can't seem to find anything in the logs either, but then I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

I've tried ES file explorer, the CM11 file explorer and FX file exporer. I've reformatted the SD card using CWM, put it in my card reader on my computer and was able to copy over 40gb of data flawlessly so the card doesn't seem to be corrupt.

I'm not really sure where to start with the troubleshooting, as I said before I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the log files regarding failed file transfers.
20th January 2014, 06:09 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bakersfield, California
Thanks Meter: 2,935

5,201 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up re: sdcard issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzy88

Has anyone else experienced problems writing files to external SD card just lately? All I know is that the SD card works fine If I use it on the computer with a card reader.

For instance if I copy 300mb of titaniumbackup files it will randomly stop in the process and tell me there is a problem writing the files. This also happens with other files. I can't seem to find anything in the logs either, but then I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

I've tried ES file explorer, the CM11 file explorer and FX file exporer. I've reformatted the SD card using CWM, put it in my card reader on my computer and was able to copy over 40gb of data flawlessly so the card doesn't seem to be corrupt.

I'm not really sure where to start with the troubleshooting, as I said before I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the log files regarding failed file transfers.

If the sdcard is not already formatted with fat32 your best bet is to format it
fat32 and there is an excellent chance that you will be able to use it in your
phone and computer without any further issues.

Here is a direct download link for the windows fat32 formatter:
http://dlp.cloudsvr50.com/td1/81/fat...FUJrfgodDX8AbA

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterjunky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

184 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky

If the sdcard is not already formatted with fat32 your best bet is to format it
fat32 and there is an excellent chance that you will be able to use it in your
phone and computer without any further issues.

Here is a direct download link for the windows fat32 formatter:
http://dlp.cloudsvr50.com/td1/81/fat...FUJrfgodDX8AbA

Good luck!

I switched to slimkat rom to try it out. It's also based on 4.4 and the same kernel as what I had before. I re-formatted the sd card to fat32 at the same time but everything seems to work now. I wonder what it was. Maybe just a kitkat bug with exfat that still needs to be sorted out
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread