[Noob-Tutorial] How to create a CWM flashable zip file from FTF Firmware

Search This thread

RomanticDog

Aug 5, 2009
i followed the exactly same instructions to create one file, but it didn't work when i using TWRP to flash it. I think it still need to create flashable zip file in Ubuntu.

Plus, should we go to META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script and edit it?

Last edited:

FateNozomi

Sep 17, 2013
i followed the exactly same instructions to create one file, but it didn't work when i using TWRP to flash it. I think it still need to create flashable zip file in Ubuntu.

Plus, should we go to META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script and edit it?

Yup you need to edit the updater script to smylink some files, go download other 4.3 roms for reference!

eryen

Apr 1, 2011
Also we can use extracted system.ext4 to replace system partiton. no need to LinuxReader and compicated scripts.

1. Extract system.sin to system.ext4 with Flashtool Sin Editor option.
2. Replace system.ext4 file in attached CWM_update_system.zip file
3. Boot into recovery.
3.1 Flash CWM_update_system.zip
3.2 Flash NUT's XZ-lockeddualrecovery2.7.85-BETA.flashable.zip
3.3 Flash NUT's SuperSu_Fix

Flash original ftf file without data and system partitions to update modem and kernel etc.
Flashtool_Flash_file.png

Use your rooted and updated phone.

Attachments

• CWM_update_system.zip
    126.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

RochiWizz

Mar 7, 2009
Hi @all,

Step 10
Download the Attached META-INF File - extract it and copy the META-INF Folder in the "Firmware" folder

Step 11
Now you have in your "Firmware" folder two sub-folders
"system" and "META-INF"
Now you only have to zip the both folders for example with 7zip or WinRar
Important: You have to set the compression to "Store"
Thanks for this guide nice that people take the time to make guides like this. One small question is the attached META-INF "universal" for Xperia Z series? (can I use it for Tablet Z)

binh_hdda

Aug 17, 2007
Now it was announced a ROM 10.4.1.B.0.101 for Z, could we make a zip and flash it by use CWM?

johan8

Nov 16, 2010
I have tried this method with reference of certain rom here to create my own CWM flashable 10.4.1.B.0.101
However after CWM flashed, then flash 10.4.1.B.0.101 TFT with kernel and modem only......
my XZ become no network, baseband is unknown.... my XZ not working properly....

I have successfully created my own pre-rooted 10.4.B.0.569 and update with it.
But not 101 this time.
Any ticks in 101 ?
Or I have to wipe data this time ?

C_Karhu

Jan 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Also we can use extracted system.ext4 to replace system partiton. no need to LinuxReader and compicated scripts.

3. Boot into recovery.

Flash original ftf file without data and system partitions to update modem and kernel etc.
Flashtool_Flash_file.png

Hi!

Is there a way to update kernel, modem etc without flashmode? It doesn't work on my phone. There's something wrong with it. Don't know what... But fastboot mode works.

Thanks!

eryen

Apr 1, 2011
Hi!

Is there a way to update kernel, modem etc without flashmode? It doesn't work on my phone. There's something wrong with it. Don't know what... But fastboot mode works.

Thanks!

Kernel also can be flashed via cwm update zip. Just need to insert correct lines.

About modem files. I tried flashtool sin decypter but, result was not ok. Phone soft bricked.

Maybe allready flashed files might work, after copy to sdcard.

All files listed under this path
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name

Remember do not mess with TA partition...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Tonight i will try a full package with all partitions again to confirm, does it works.

Need to clarify modem and bootloader files.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Lipa08

Nov 14, 2013
Warsaw
Hi @all,

I´m using the Flashtool and other provided tools here in the Forum for a long time (thanks to all people who are involved in the developing)

Now I want to give something back.
I´m not a developer but I understand (hopefully) basic things.
I have also some phones which does not support the flashmode so I am reliant to the fastboot mode and CWM.
At this point my goal was to flash the stock ROM to the Xperia Z.

I found a tuturial how to make a flashable zip file for CWM but it was for old devices with yaffs2 filesystem and the new ones have ext4.

After some search I found everything what is needed and I want to share it with you.
The Tutorial covers basic things but maybe it will help some people who will try it.

Step 1
Download the Stock-FW you want (FTF-File)

Step 2
Rename the .ftf File to .zip

Step 3
Extract the system.sin (with 7zip or WinRar for example)

Step 4
Open Flashtool go to "Tools" -> "Sin Editor" -> Choose the extracted system.sin and push "extract" Data

Step 5
You will get an system.ext4 file

Step 6
We have to extract the files which are in the system.ext4 file - for this I used the DiskInternal Linux Reader

Step 7
After extracting the files you have to put all the files in a folder named "system" (low letters)

Step 8
Create a folder named for example "Firmware"

Step 9
Put the "system" folder in the "Firmware" folder

Step 10
Download the Attached META-INF File - extract it and copy the META-INF Folder in the "Firmware" folder

Step 11
"system" and "META-INF"

Step 12
Copy the zip File to your SD-Card and flash it with CWM

If you want you can now add files to the system folder - like busy box - and or modify things and flash it over CWM.

Special thanks to Bin4ry

Best regards
UserX10

I don't have system.sin, so what now?? :

10470912_840266272668010_8496563480008629501_n.jpg

I really need to work it out, cause my phone is useless without updating this CWM :(

Last edited:

UserX10

May 10, 2010
I don't have system.sin, so what now?? :

10470912_840266272668010_8496563480008629501_n.jpg

I really need to work it out, cause my phone is useless without updating this CWM :(

Then you have a stripped / reduced firmware which you have downloaded.
The system.sin is the partition with the whole "Operating System". Download a different FTF !!

muzaffarkhan95

Sep 30, 2013
nexus 4

where can i get flash tool from? and my FW is in IZArc format!! iz it necessary to convert into FTF??? please help m new here!! thanks!!

amigo911

Oct 25, 2013
I tried your guide in my xperia sp .

this is log wen i tried to flash through CWM

-- Installing :/ storage/sdcard1/rom/gamerom.zip
finding update package....
opening update package...
installing update...
--format system
--Delete files
--Installing system
E: Error in /storage/sdcard1/rom/gamerom.zip
(status 0)

:( please help . i followed everything. i was bit confused when i was about to extract the ext4 .

i am telling you what I did .

I opened your linux reader .

Then choose from File menu > Drives>mount image
(.) Rawdisk images checked
Next
Located the ext4 then
then it created a partition for me LINUX EXT VOLUME 4
Opened the partition and saved those . Those are same as other flashzip system folder.

Whats wrong i did ? :(

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

UPDATE :

Sorry i passed the installation aborted problem now . it stucks with no error msg

- Installing :/ storage/sdcard1/rom/gamerom.zip
finding update package....
opening update package...
installing update...
--format system
--Delete files
--Installing system

Going about 50% OF the progress bar and never ends :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi @all,

I´m using the Flashtool and other provided tools here in the Forum for a long time (thanks to all people who are involved in the developing)

Now I want to give something back.
    I´m not a developer but I understand (hopefully) basic things.
    I have also some phones which does not support the flashmode so I am reliant to the fastboot mode and CWM.
    At this point my goal was to flash the stock ROM to the Xperia Z.

I found a tuturial how to make a flashable zip file for CWM but it was for old devices with yaffs2 filesystem and the new ones have ext4.

After some search I found everything what is needed and I want to share it with you.
    The Tutorial covers basic things but maybe it will help some people who will try it.

Step 1
    Download the Stock-FW you want (FTF-File)

Step 2
    Rename the .ftf File to .zip

Step 3
    Extract the system.sin (with 7zip or WinRar for example)

Step 4
    Open Flashtool go to "Tools" -> "Sin Editor" -> Choose the extracted system.sin and push "extract" Data

Step 5
    You will get an system.ext4 file

Step 6
    We have to extract the files which are in the system.ext4 file - for this I used the DiskInternal Linux Reader

Step 7
    After extracting the files you have to put all the files in a folder named "system" (low letters)

Step 8
    Create a folder named for example "Firmware"

Step 9
    Put the "system" folder in the "Firmware" folder

Step 10

Step 11
    "system" and "META-INF"

Step 12
    Copy the zip File to your SD-Card and flash it with CWM

If you want you can now add files to the system folder - like busy box - and or modify things and flash it over CWM.

Special thanks to Bin4ry

Best regards
    UserX10
    Please!
    Does this tutoriral can be applied to other models as Neo V.
    Thank you and best regards!:(

This Tutorial should also work with the Neo V. Only one thing could be different.
    But depending on your Android Version (when I remember well) it could be possible that you have instead of an ext4 file a yaffs2 file. In this case you can search the forum for an how to for this extension.
    If you don't set it to store it wont work at all, no rom/flashable zip have anything other than store compression the same goes for bootanimations ;)
    I use a template for flashing various things and I just drop stuff in it using Normal compression and it flashes ok, might be more important for full ROMs or zips to be run on the Phone like a boot animation, but for flashing the odd apk or other file I don't think it matters.

This Tutorial should also work with the Neo V. Only one thing could be different.
    But depending on your Android Version (when I remember well) it could be possible that you have instead of an ext4 file a yaffs2 file. In this case you can search the forum for an how to for this extension.

3. Boot into recovery.

Flashtool_Flash_file.png

Thanks for the positive feedback.
    Changed also the typo on Step 1 :)