5,594,282 Members 43,052 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] PS3 Controller Support?

Tip us?

Damieok
Old
(Last edited by Damieok; 20th December 2013 at 07:51 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] PS3 Controller Support?

I can not get the Moto G to recognize a PS3 Sixaxis controller while its plugged in via usb>OTG.

The same controller allows me to navigate through the launcher on a Nexus 7 connected the same way with nothing else installed and no root. I have also been able to navigate like this on the Moto G with a wired Xbox controller via USB.

I planned on mounting the Moto G on top of a PS3 controller, wired or wireless, has anyone got this working wired, or wireless wile rooted? I haven't rooted yet but will if this works.

Damieok
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I'm sure someone else out there owns a Moto G, PS3 controller, and an OTG cable, if anyone would be willing to give it a quick test I would be very grateful. :/

Damieok
Old
(Last edited by Damieok; 21st December 2013 at 12:17 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Ok after some testing I have discovered a few things.

1. The controller show up in the USB host controller app as a PS3 controller.

2. The first LED lights up like it is supposed to when trying to set it up with this app: Sixaxis Enabler

So it appears that apps can see and communicate with the controller to an extent, however I have not been able to use it successfully in anything like dead-trigger or emulators. Is it possible that the communication works but the implementation for it's input just isn't there in the ROM? Does Sixaxis controller have it's own implementation that will fix this if I pair it to Bluetooth?

Edit: 148 views and no reply's... come on guys.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damieok For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Damieok
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Thumbs up Working Rooted

I finally rooted, and I can confirm that is does work with Bluetooth on the stock ROM after rooting! (thanks for the help everyone /s)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damieok For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nufsty2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damieok View Post
I finally rooted, and I can confirm that is does work with Bluetooth on the stock ROM after rooting! (thanks for the help everyone /s)
Thanks for the info in your post! I've been trying to get it to work too. I have a question about rooting. I've rooted every android phone I've had up to this point and used Cyanogenmod. However, I really love how the Moto G has great support with rom updates and such. So can I root my Moto G without compromising the rom or any of this support?

manudo
Old
Thanks Meter 35
No one has a Wii controller to test?
Can I get legal issues if I name a custom ROM like "Jelly Beans (sweetened with Splenda)"? Serious question. D:

Moto G (Stock KitKat 4.4.2)
Xperia Sola (Paranoid Android 1.6 - 4.0.4 ICS)

Currently busy because of college works and stuff, so I afk, sorry folks.

FelipeBHZ
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Anyone got PS3 working on Moto G via Bluetooth? I haven't tested yet 'cause I will only buy my Moto G tomorrow.

Medard22
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeBHZ View Post
Anyone got PS3 working on Moto G via Bluetooth? I haven't tested yet 'cause I will only buy my Moto G tomorrow.
Itīs just a few post back that you can pair it with Moto G, you have to root your device though.

I tried to paur it with my wiimote but as I sooon found out the wiimote is no longer supported since jellybean 4.2. Android developers modified the bluetooth stack and it dosnīt work anymore. AFAIK it doesnīt work on Kitkat either.
I would love to root my moto g right away. There are some minor software annoyances that could be easily fixed, but Iīm afraid that Iīd lose warranty