Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Stop Making Update Reset Default App

OP elcasa

18th January 2014, 02:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

18 posts
I'm tired of Android asking to set the default app for some actions like opening a link, writing an sms and so on after EVERY update of the default app.. Why on every update of Chrome BETA I have to set again that it is my deafult browser?
Each update of the keyboard is even worse, I have also to put the check in settings to enable the keyboard.. imho it's boring

I found other people talking about this on the net like:

http://android.stackexchange.com/que...after-upgrades

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...fault-app.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541119

Does someone of you agree with me?
I also found this issue, and I voted it, do you think is a good idea to vote this issue?? Is there a way to give this issue (or bug imho) a wide appeal??

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=26111
18th January 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #2  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 94

577 posts
More
Every operating system does the same thing, you just don't realise it. Android has space constraints, so instead of adding to a database that would grow and grow, it rebuilds it when apps are installed and removed. Believe me, this is better than the old way of Android where apps that were no longer installed were set as the default and lots of errors would happen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
20th January 2014, 05:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
I think that there would be a difference between installing/uninstalling and updating an app that I already use.. why ask me again if I want to use Chrome Beta as the default browser if I didn't installed a new browser, I didn't uninstalled Chrome Beta but I only updated it ? total nonsense, imho
20th January 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #4  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,836

15,335 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasa

I think that there would be a difference between installing/uninstalling and updating an app that I already use.. why ask me again if I want to use Chrome Beta as the default browser if I didn't installed a new browser, I didn't uninstalled Chrome Beta but I only updated it ? total nonsense, imho

You also have to remember that when you update an app it gives you a new apk. Which means all permissions for the old apk are now gone and you have to give it to the new one. Just something you will learn to live with.
20th January 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

18 posts
I'm not saying that it's a bad implementation because it is a problem easy to solve or something else.. I'm just saying that from the user point of view, and I'm a user, losing the default app preference each update it's boring and I'm sure that this situation could have been handled in a different way, allowing me to not repeat the same action like a robot... like setting the app that visualize my word documents, pdf, photos, my favorite borwser, messaging app and so on
20th January 2014, 10:04 PM   |  #6  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,836

15,335 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcasa

I'm not saying that it's a bad implementation because it is a problem easy to solve or something else.. I'm just saying that from the user point of view, and I'm a user, losing the default app preference each update it's boring and I'm sure that this situation could have been handled in a different way, allowing me to not repeat the same action like a robot... like setting the app that visualize my word documents, pdf, photos, my favorite borwser, messaging app and so on

It is far better then the way it used to be and with the way android handles security it is the way it has to be. Trust me. You must be new to android as you would not find it that bad compared to the old way as talked about above.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
default app update reset
Previous Thread Next Thread