Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,888 Members 53,676 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

zRam settings

Tip us?

anonxlg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default zRam settings

just trying to squeeze some life out of the phone and i noticed i had this option disabled
the default is 18% according for 4.1.2, i'm just wondering if anyone here has experimented with different values?
i'm going to try 10% for now

Jorge_007
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonxlg View Post
just trying to squeeze some life out of the phone and i noticed i had this option disabled
the default is 18% according for 4.1.2, i'm just wondering if anyone here has experimented with different values?
i'm going to try 10% for now
I've tried using zRAM and to be honest you don't gain much from it. If at all, it'll slow down your phone because of the increased cpu usage needed to compress and decompress the data on the fly. The worst case scenario is that zRAM will decrease your battery life. What ROM are you using?

anonxlg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
cm10.1
but yeah, after using it, i do notice that there are more 'mini lags' when i have it enabled
it's not worth it for only '10%' more ram

Jorge_007
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonxlg View Post
cm10.1
but yeah, after using it, i do notice that there are more 'mini lags' when i have it enabled
it's not worth it for only '10%' more ram
I think you mean CM 10 if your OS version is 4.1.2. CM 10.1 is Android 4.2. And to get you in the right direction, setting zRAM to 10% does not translate into 10% more RAM. It just reserves 10% of your usable RAM and compresses data that gets put into it. I think that zRAM would be very useful if this phone had a dual core processor. You should check "allow purging of assets" and "16bit transparency" to squeeze any life that's left out of this phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jorge_007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]