Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,557 Members 46,602 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dafunk's Bits and Pieces

Tip us?

dafunk2
Old
(Last edited by dafunk2; 17th November 2009 at 09:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Default Dafunk's Bits and Pieces

Hello, I opened this thread just as a "container" thread for the little things and mods I'd like to do and I already did. It's not so much,... but a little is better then nothing .

Ok, let's start.

I use Max Manila 2.5.19202525 Ultimate 2.5, and like in the "older" versions I don't like the 4 notification icons. Don't get me wrong...I don't like the way they are undersized and flattened down, and not the icon style.
I digged a little into the file "7c60907d_manila" and I found out that the size of these icons is set to 60x55 pixels, but the original size of the notification icons is 64x64. This way it's obvious that the result will be a flattened icon.

I tried to start to design the icons from another "point of view", in a way that they have to be perfectly squared and not undersized, without any quality loss given by resizing. We also will have a quality loss because of the compression when importing the *.PNGs into the manila graphic files, but this is another story...

After many tries I found out that the real notification icon size should be 59x59 pixels, so this is what I did:

The image talk better then words....I designed an icon of 59x59 inside a 64x64 image canvas, leaving 5 transparent pixels to the right of the icon and 5 below.

Then I edited the mode9 file 7c60907d_manila setting the size of the notification icons at 64x64 (and no more 60x55) and realigning to X and Y positions, being sure that this way I will have perfectly squared and spaced icons (59x59) without no stratches or no undersizing and flattenings.

I hope you can understand me...

So I started to design for fun and pure passion some icon set you can see and download . The icons sets are mostly the same, but with little differences like the buttons borders, the glossy effect over the button, the corners more rounded and so on. I also added to the majority of the sets a little shadow of 1-2 pixel to give the icons a better smoothness and "depth".....these are the little things that makes the difference: probably you will not notice, but your eyes unconsciously will catch anything.

Noborder

iPhone1

iPhone2

Glossy1

Glossy2

Glossy3

Dusk1 Def

Dusk1 Def Fade

Dusk1 Def Fade No-Gloss

Dusk1 Color

Dusk1 BW

I had fun to design the "Dusk" sets, because I tried to figure out how grzegorz10 designed it's own set for Dusk Theme...LOL
George...I know that you would have done more beautiful, ehehehehe.

Inside each *.CAB there is also the file 7c60907d_manila with the corrected size and X/Y pos of the set.

Which I like most? I like Glossy3 and all Dusk Def sets....but I like also Noborder...

I tried to do these sets in many different ways to give you more choice, and to best fit your taste....hope you like it.

dafunk

EDIT 17/11/2009:
Added CAB to restore original notification icons

dafunk2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Reserved for future use

dafunk2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Reserved for something...

gwbard
Old
(Last edited by gwbard; 17th November 2009 at 01:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 329
Let me be the first to say -- Right On, Dude!!!
It's about time we got a bit of variety for the Ultimate notification/alert icons. No offense to g10 or max -- they are awesome -- but I've always though those default icons didn't do either of them justice. (oh, and bnm7bnm & djcedric have made some nice ones too, but it's great to have more choices)
Keep it up, Funk, these are excellent!
Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337 AT&T)
BeanStalk
Samsung Note 10.1 (N8013 Wi-Fi)
Hyperdrive
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (4g LTE)
★Rooted/Hybrid w/Google Apps
Samsung Galaxy Note (i717 AT&T)
★ParanoidKANGdroid
Samsung Galaxy Tab (T-Mobile)
★AOKP SGT7
Samsung Infuse 4G (AT&T)
★BeanStalk
HTC HD2
retired

TeDeV
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
can you give us a cab with the original icons, so that if we don't like them, we can change back?

dafunk2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbard View Post
Let me be the first to say -- Right On, Dude!!!
It's about time we got a bit of variety for the Ultimate notification/alert icons. No offense to g10 or max -- they are awesome -- but I've always though those default icons didn't do either of them justice. (oh, and bnm7bnm & djcedric have made some nice ones too, but it's great to have more choices)
Keep it up, Funk, these are excellent!
Hey, gwbard, nice to "see" you again
Thanks mate, but I know that g10 and max are the best...I'm sure that they gave not enough importance to the icons design because of much more important things to do like code fixes an so on. It's a luck for us if they think to the "engine"....you see, there is some other people that can provide nicer graphics like djcedric, ]bnm7bnm or me

Thanks again gwbard

@TeDev....
You're right, I will provide a cab to restore the original Max Manila Notification icons...just give me the time to do it

dafunk

hungera
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hi dafunk, i'm using Noborder, pretty nice, really thanks!

dafunk2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungera View Post
hi dafunk, i'm using Noborder, pretty nice, really thanks!
Thanks hungera...you're welcome

@TeDev.....
Added CAB to restore original notification icons on first post

TeDeV
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
hey thanks.

can i have one more request?

i love the noborder icons but... do you think you can make them almost transparent?

what i mean is...
they are there, but opacity is low , so that they won't look like they take too much space of the screen. the home tab will look cleaner and bigger. IF there is a notification like 1 or more messages then the message notification icon becomes 100% visible, if it doesn't have any new messages then it goes back to 20% visible (for example).

and this goes for the other 3 notification icons too.
i am guessing that this will be easy to be fixed.

i would be thankful

millski
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Excellent work dafunk! Adding it to my list of 2.5 bits...