Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Replacing Digitizer

Tip us?

XzxBATTxzX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs down Replacing Digitizer

Has anybody ever replaced the digitizer in a phone? how hard is it? how high is the risk of it not working? So i sent my note 3 in, screen doesnt work at all with a cracked digitizer (screen doesnt work at all) so I sent my phone in rooted and safestrapped (dont know what slot it was/which rom) and they said they will note fix it, so I asked them if they would fix it if i unrooted and sent it back in if they would fix it. they said yes, and now they are claiming the phone has water damage which i am 99999999% sure it doesnt. Now i find myself looking for an s3 or something since a note 3 digitizer replacement is 260$
Developer of ButterBoost Rom for the Verizon Note 3

kalkat579
Old
Thanks Meter 468

DONATE TO ME
If its just the digitizer there is no way its 260 a digitizer is only about 20 at most you are looking at the digitizer and lcd now the skill it takes in not that hard as long as you have the correct materials such as a uv light like the ones theybuse tondry nails as well as the liquid adhesive solution that goes between the lcd and the digitizer as long as you can follow simple instructions and have a very clean place to do its its very simple I do that kind of thing at my business

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

XzxBATTxzX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkat579 View Post
If its just the digitizer there is no way its 260 a digitizer is only about 20 at most you are looking at the digitizer and lcd now the skill it takes in not that hard as long as you have the correct materials such as a uv light like the ones theybuse tondry nails as well as the liquid adhesive solution that goes between the lcd and the digitizer as long as you can follow simple instructions and have a very clean place to do its its very simple I do that kind of thing at my business

thanks for the reply, i am looking at the piece with the digitizer and lcd together that you just pry the old one out and glue the new one in, is a uv light completely necessary? what is it for?
Developer of ButterBoost Rom for the Verizon Note 3

kalkat579
Old
Thanks Meter 468

DONATE TO ME
If your replacing just the digitizer the uv light is to dry the adhesive properly but it your buying the whole assembly you dont need anything but the tools and maby some double sided tape to replace the glue you will be pulling off the phone but my best sugestion is if you have total equipment protection use assurion to get a new phone for 99 instead of fixing ur broken one then sell it on ebay to pay for the replacement you got

mwebb34
Old
(Last edited by mwebb34; 19th January 2014 at 12:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 112
Edit
I tried replacing the digitizer on the Galaxy Note 2

i tried but failed its extreamly hard. if it was me i would just return the phone if you have insurance. if you dont have insurance i would suggest taking it to a professional.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

your gonna need a heat source also so you can melt the glue that holds the glass on i used a hair dryer but you might want to have someone help you as you will need a 2nd person apply the heat "warm not very hot" that way you can pry on the glass to lossen from glue. And a very very steady hand. In the process you cant make any mistakes if its your first time doing this i would say you have a greater chance of failer. Just speaking from my past expierence. Also it would probably help you to watch a youtube video on the entire process.

kalkat579
Old
Thanks Meter 468

DONATE TO ME
I never had any trouble but I have also done this many many times there are plently of vids on youtube if you want to watch sonebody to do it but I would sugest against a hair dryer or a heat gun the uv lamp I mentioned is nuch much safer it might take a lil longer but the heat produced will not damage the divice like the hair dryer or heat gun can

neyenlives
Old
Thanks Meter 480
I still can't get past the idea of someone sending in a heavily modded phone for repair....... Man...... So many things I want to say....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk