Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,599 Members 36,105 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Am I getting free service?

Tip us?

guy48065
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Am I getting free service?

I activated my phone (an unlocked GS3) on Net10 then a week later ported my old phone number to it. In that process they said they had to mail me a new SIM card so the one I had just bought/activated was deactivated and my old number was also cancelled.
When I called to complain about being left with no phone over Christmas they reactivated the store-bought phone number.
Now...2 weeks later my wife wants to get on board so I bought her an unlocked GS3 and put the deactivated SIM card in it to see if I could get to their apps instead of AT&T's store and was surprised to find that the phone number is still active. When I called to activate/port the new line they told me the SIM card number I read them didn't exist.

SO now I'm wondering how this is, and how long it will work? I tried to get it set right but Net10 is adamant I need to buy yet another SIM card. It's kinda hard to take this seriously when I have a working phone that makes calls and gets full data.

chrism.brunner
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Interested in how this turned out...

tankey14
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
I activated my phone (an unlocked GS3) on Net10 then a week later ported my old phone number to it. In that process they said they had to mail me a new SIM card so the one I had just bought/activated was deactivated and my old number was also cancelled.
When I called to complain about being left with no phone over Christmas they reactivated the store-bought phone number.
Now...2 weeks later my wife wants to get on board so I bought her an unlocked GS3 and put the deactivated SIM card in it to see if I could get to their apps instead of AT&T's store and was surprised to find that the phone number is still active. When I called to activate/port the new line they told me the SIM card number I read them didn't exist.

SO now I'm wondering how this is, and how long it will work? I tried to get it set right but Net10 is adamant I need to buy yet another SIM card. It's kinda hard to take this seriously when I have a working phone that makes calls and gets full data.
i'd just milk the cow til it ran out, lol just use the AT&T until it finally deactivates service....if it ever does

Hikikomori-Otaku
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post

Tracfone (Parent company of Net10) always seems to make a mess out of the simplest things. In your case, it was to your benefit. You already tired to make things right, so I say use the SIM until it gets deactivated. I'd assume you'll get a month out of the SIM. As they can't find the SIM number in their database, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to continue using that SIM once it does become derivative.
If my username is too difficult to say, just call me Kiri (^^)

guy48065
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Must have gotten flagged right away...it was dead in two days :-/