Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,773 Members 53,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Generic IMEI after OTA 4.3 upgrade

Tip us?

rext
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Generic IMEI after OTA 4.3 upgrade

Hello to everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help with this. I have a Galaxy Note 2 branded by an Italian company (3hg Italia). It recently received its update to Android 4.3 (update N7100XXUEML2). It was the official update OTA, the phone is not rooted and it had the stock ROM on it. The update somehow messed up my IMEI making it appear as the generic 0049 forcing me on "Emergency calls only" mode. I already tried flashing the same ROM with Odin and repeating the update with KIES, but while the updates always results successful the IMEI remains 0049. I never made a backup of the EFS folder for this phone since I haven't rooted it or flashed any different ROM on it yet. There is any chance that the phone made an automatic backup? I live in the States right now and Samsung tells me I need to ship it back to Italy to have it fixed, but that costs a lot and would take forever, and I would much prefer try to solve the problem locally. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if not for any fix that I can try myself, at least some place on the West Coast that can fix the problem!

Thank you!
Lorenzo

rext
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Oh I forgot to add that because of Hardware problems I recently sent my phone to Samsung and they replaced the motherboard, which fixed the problem I was having. I don't know if that could be related!

phluid01
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rext View Post
Oh I forgot to add that because of Hardware problems I recently sent my phone to Samsung and they replaced the motherboard, which fixed the problem I was having. I don't know if that could be related!
Here's solution : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2539731

rext
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by phluid01 View Post
I'm afraid that fix works just if you have your actual IMEI, I instead have the generic IMEI that starts with 0049. But I will check it out! Thanks!

phluid01
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I'm afraid that fix works just if you have your actual IMEI, I instead have the generic IMEI that starts with 0049. But I will check it out! Thanks!
Then you should simply flash another modem from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2044937 ... flash a custom recovery first.

rext
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by phluid01 View Post
Then you should simply flash another modem from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2044937 ... flash a custom recovery first.
Thank you so much! I'll take a look into it tomorrow and try it!

rext
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thank you so much! I'll take a look into it tomorrow and try it!
So I found someone nice enough to give me a hand with this situation, but still no luck yet! Here what they say:

At first glance, the EFS data on the phone was corrupt. I re-generated
that data and restored it to the phone without success.

The GSM radio itself is operational, and the firmware for it is
installed and functional. diagnostic data flows to the towers and back
to the phone but it's not reading the IMEI from the copy of
nv_data.bin contained within EFS. I've re-generated and installed
those files as well, again with no luck.

I rolled the device back to it's original factory firmware and radio
baseband, then ran through the update for the radio baseband, which
also regenerates the contents of EFS, and still no luck.

Given the situation, anyone have other suggestions?

Tags
0049, 4.3, imei, note 2