Upgrading/Downgrading the Note 3

363 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
By fterh, Senior Member on 21st January 2014, 03:45 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi, quick question. I read that with Note 3, because all the stock ROMs are knox-enabled, I can upgrade by flashing via Odin (even if I have Knox tripped).

So this:

If you try to downgrade to KNOX-disabled system(MGA for example) your device will be flaged as KNOX Void Warranty 0×1 and will get a special lock – you won’t be able to update to any KNOX-enabled firmware even by ODIN.

doesn't apply because there aren't knox-disabled firmwares.

What about if I downgrade using Odin? By flashing an older firmware? If I'm not on the newer bootloaders I can, right? But will Knox be tripped?

I also read that if you try to flash a non-Knox firmware onto a Knox phone you'll be bricked. I can't remember which thread/what circumstances, so hoping someone can shed some light on that.

Lastly, if I'm on unrooted stock firmware, can I use URDLV to "patch" the newest firmware, then flash it to get the rooted latest firmware WITHOUT the newer bootloader and WITHOUT tripping knox? So I can choose to downgrade should the new firmware has any problems.
21st January 2014, 06:25 AM |#2  
Flag Johor
Thanks Meter: 1,605
Donate to Me
Situation on trip the Knox or not: (No idea on downgrade as I never try, I think it won't under same bootloader version)
  • Flash any stock ROM including Kitkat officially or not with odin without rooting - won't trip knox.
  • Officially phone came with MJ1 or older - root with URDLV won't trip knox.
  • Officially phone came with MJ7 or later - root with any method will trip knox.
  • Officially phone came with MJ1 but later updates to MJ7 with OTA/KIES/PC Odin and later - root with any method will trip knox.
  • Officially at MJ1 and rooted and update to any firmware excluding KitKat ROM using Mobile Odin Pro only - root will remain and won't trip the knox.
  • Install any custom recovery and custom kernel will trip the knox.

Update KitKat via Mobile Odin Pro (MOP) without trip the Knox:
  • Your current bootloader is not newer than MJ1.
  • Load Official Poland ROM in MOP
  • Enable EverRoot, Choose option "Download mode" in after flashing. Start flashing.
  • After booted into Download Mode, connect your phone to your computer and run PC Odin 3.09.
  • Load this bootloader in the BL section
  • Check Phone Bootloader Update and F.Reset.time, un-check Auto Reboot and Start Flashing.
  • When Odin says RESET!, switch off your phone and reboot normally.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread