5,600,292 Members 36,307 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PSA: If you are just coming to T-Mobile, check your GPS within 14 days.

Tip us?

zmore
Old
(Last edited by zmore; 16th January 2014 at 08:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 869
My GPS anecodote: #8472921

SGS1 Captivate: GPS == crappy h/w
AT&T SGS3 GPS == great
T-Mobile Note3 GPS = great
Nexus 7 GPS = great
Nexus 10 GPS = great
Kindle Fire GPS = don't remember

The only samsung devices universally notorious for bad GPS were the original Galaxy S1's. Even outdoors it'd often take over minute to get a lock, but wouldn't keep lock, and would be inaccurate - forget about an indoors lock. Samsung wized up after that.

Still have my Captivate, too, running CM11, and the GPS still sucks.

(This PSA thread is just a case of the squeaky wheel minority making a lot of noise, IMO)
Primary Phone: Note3 (SM-N900T); ROM: CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat 4.4.*); kernel: Stock @ 2.3GHz; misc: Incipio DualPro; 64GB class10 microSDXC
Primary Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012); ROM: CM11
Working museum piece: SGS1 Captivate (SGH-i897); ROM: CM11; kernel: Stock @ 1.0GHz
(Other devices: Nexus 10 (stock); Retired devices: SGS3 (SGH-i747), Kindle Fire (otter), OG Galaxy Tab 7, ...)

EtherealRemnant
Old
Thanks Meter 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Ramsay View Post
First off, you took my sarcasm in that post as being directed at you. That's your fault, not mine. The sarcasm that came later was a direct response to the sarcasm that you used in response to me and in response to @BACARDILIMON. My initial sarcastic tone in that post was actually meant more towards my annoyance with Samsung for failing to fix an issue that has plagued their Galaxy line since its inception but I see how it could have been taken totally wrong.

You're making some rather bold assumptions yourself, however. Like believing that everyone on XDA has a grasp on troubleshooting. Clearly you don't read many posts in Q&A or General if you believe that to be true. New users that don't know anything outnumber the rest of us by probably 5 to 1, if not more. There's nothing wrong with that as this is basically a hybrid community of users and developers but assuming that the majority know how to check for problems themselves is probably one of the worst assumptions of all.

And when you start your thread title with PSA its pretty clear that you're saying this is a huge issue and people should return their devices within the 14 day period if they have any GPS problems. So yes, if people were to blindly follow that post, you are suggesting people return their defective devices. Seems pretty clear to me.

In any case, I've made my point and I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse. I have better things to do with my time.
If I've helped you, please remember to thank me!

Retired: Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Hero, Evo, Curve 8330, Bold 9700, Palm Pre, Inspire, MT4G, Sensation 4G, Nook Color, Iconia A500, LG G2x, Captivate, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy S3 T-999, Galaxy S4 SGH-M919!

Gordon Ramsay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
First off, you took my sarcasm in that post as being directed at you. That's your fault, not mine. The sarcasm that came later was a direct response to the sarcasm that you used in response to me and in response to @BACARDILIMON. My initial sarcastic tone in that post was actually meant more towards my annoyance with Samsung for failing to fix an issue that has plagued their Galaxy line since its inception but I see how it could have been taken totally wrong.

You're making some rather bold assumptions yourself, however. Like believing that everyone on XDA has a grasp on troubleshooting. Clearly you don't read many posts in Q&A or General if you believe that to be true. New users that don't know anything outnumber the rest of us by probably 5 to 1, if not more. There's nothing wrong with that as this is basically a hybrid community of users and developers but assuming that the majority know how to check for problems themselves is probably one of the worst assumptions of all.

And when you start your thread title with PSA its pretty clear that you're saying this is a huge issue and people should return their devices within the 14 day period if they have any GPS problems. So yes, if people were to blindly follow that post, you are suggesting people return their defective devices. Seems pretty clear to me.

In any case, I've made my point and I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse. I have better things to do with my time.
Just laughable at this point better things to do with your time...lol..clearly not. Anyways have a good one. God bless <3

Prod1702
Old
Thanks Meter 184

DONATE TO ME
I got my phone 2 days after it was out and my GPS works great. I know 3 other people that got there's around the same time as me and theirs works great as well. I am sure this was just being lucky
Current Phone: T-Mobile HTC One (M8)
Phones not in use: G1, HTC Nexus One, LG G2X, GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, HTC One, LG G-Flex, Note 3

If you don't have a Dropbox account join off me and get an extra 500mb of free space. http://db.tt/apgNbhRE

Gordon Ramsay
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prod1702 View Post
I got my phone 2 days after it was out and my GPS works great. I know 3 other people that got there's around the same time as me and theirs works great as well. I am sure this was just being lucky
I am glad that it doesn't seem to be a wide spread issue. I have never received so many defective devices in a row before. I can't remember the last time I had to return an electronic device actually, except maybe a power supply that came to me DOA a few months ago. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket :P I just figured since I got 3 bad ones I would put the word out. I don't know anyone with a T-Mobile Note 3, only Verizon. Their phones seem to be fine as well.

Rob the plumber
Old
Thanks Meter 110
All of my Samsung phones had weak GPS compared to my HTC and Motorola phones. Side by side they would always take longer to lock, and would not be as accurate.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

holycow1
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Mine was crap. I cleared maps application data then did a soft reset of my phone with battery pull and it was good as new.

The Following User Says Thank You to holycow1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]