5,606,151 Members 36,949 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Adventorous Surface RT owner...

Tip us?

ka-la
Old
(Last edited by ka-la; 19th January 2014 at 08:59 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Adventorous Surface RT owner...

Is wondering whether it would be theoretically possible to run custom built Windows Embedded Compact 2013 image on Surface RT. The drivers are there.. not sure they are compatible with the platform though...

The biggest question would be, how to get the built image to boot on Surface?
I find the full blown RT quite harsh on Tegra 3, so I'd give something lighter a try. A custom written UI is not a probleem in this case, I know some programming

Any reference or ideas would be greatly apperciated
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-la For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2484
Short answer: you can't, don't bother.

Longer answer: You would need to defeat Secure Boot first. All RT devices have mandatory Secure Boot, and unless you could get Microsoft to sign your image, it wouldn't boot. Even if you could, though, there's very little chance of you getting it working. For one thing, even if WEC13 has the required drivers for *some* of the RT's hardware, it surely doesn't have all of them. For another, unless there's been a major change in the CE kernel recently, it doesn't support symmetric multiprocessing so you'd lose 3/4 of the CPU power of the Tegra 3.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 307
For single threaded tasks it may be lighter weight, but as GoodDayToDie points out, it doesnt fully support multicore systems (hardly rare among real time kernels, not to say multicore real time kernels don't exist because they do). So yeah, your 4+1 core system will just become 1 core. I haven't heard of CE running on tegra so there probably isn't a video driver so you will be software rendering too.

CE on the surface hardware would be interesting, but it wouldnt be any easier to port than linux (quite the opposite) and ultimately linux would perform better and be more useful than CE.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2484
Well, older Tegra chips powered some CE devices (the ZuneHD comes to mind) but yeah, I don't know of any that run on Tegra3. Agreed on Linux being easier (since there are Linux Tegra3 devices right now) and more useful (there being tons of software for Linux, and it being, a better kernel than CE for multi-core, or really for anything except extremely low-power hardware). Neither one is practical until a Secure Boot bypass is found, though.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.