5,605,519 Members 45,124 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Paranoid RPG (Repo Pleb Guide)

Tip us?

Anu6is
Old
(Last edited by Anu6is; 23rd January 2014 at 04:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1940

DONATE TO ME
Default Paranoid RPG (Repo Pleb Guide)

This should act as a basic guide for improving your workflow while using repo/git
This takes into consideration that you already have the repo tool installed, initialized and synced.
You are still encouraged to read up on how Git actually works as this attempts to keep simple layman terms

Useful guide - http://source.android.com/source/developing.html

Basic terms
HEAD - A pointer to the current active commit (top commit of the current branch)

Branch - Alternate working path, keeps it's own history and modifications

Unstaged - Git keeps track of all file changes regardless of if they are committed or not.
This allows you to select which changes you want to commit without having to first revert your changes.
To stage a change, you'll need to execute the command git add

Staged - Once you perform git add on a modified file, it's now staged and ready for committing.

Note:
You can build and test modified files without actually staging or committing them
You however, cannot push upstream changes without first committing those changes

Basic commands:
repo start (used to create a new branch with one or more projects)
Code:
repo start branchName projectPath projectPath2 ...
git add (used to stage modified/new files)
Code:
git add pathAndFileName
git add .
Quote:
git add pathAndFileName stages only the named file, while git add . will stage all unstaged files
git rm (used to stage deleted files)
Code:
git rm pathAndFileName
git add -u
Quote:
git rm pathAndFileName stages only the named file (to be deleted), while git add -u will stage all unstaged files that are to be deleted
git diff (used to compare file changes, shows the diff between HEAD and the current project state)
Code:
git diff
git diff fileName
When diff is executed, if a file is not specified, it shows the difference between all files changed
The file being compared is shown at the top of the analysis, followed by it's differences
Quote:
Example: diff --git a/AndroidManifest.xml b/AndroidManifest.xml
Deleted lines start with a minus (-) sign
New lines start with a plus (+) sign
Lines starting with @@ are simply line numbers within the file

Example: changing one line in AndroidManifest.xml
Code:
diff --git a/AndroidManifest.xml b/AndroidManifest.xml
index e5ce889..5b8c41e 100644
--- a/AndroidManifest.xml
+++ b/AndroidManifest.xml
@@ -1581,7 +1581,7 @@
            <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                 <action android:name="android.app.action.START_ENCRYPTION" />
-                <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" /> />
+                <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
             </intent-filter>
             <meta-data android:name="com.android.settings.FRAGMENT_CLASS"

git status (shows the status of modified files, staged or unstaged)
Code:
git status -s
git commit (commits your staged files to the working directory)
Code:
git commit -a
git commit -m [message]
git commit --amend
Quote:
commit -a
This should be your standard for creating commit messages. Allows for multi-line entry for well formatted commit messages

commit -m 'commitMessage'
This is essentially a short-cut that allows you to enter a quick commit message

commit --amend
Allows you to amend the commit. It can be used simply to update the commit message or to include new files in a previous commit instead of creating a brand new commit.
git remote (create a link to another repository for easy referrence)
Code:
git remote add remoteAlias remotePath
Example: git remote add Google https://android.googlesource.com/pla...works/base.git
git fetch (update your local copy of a remote branch, does not affect your working directory)
Code:
 git fetch remoteAlias -branch
git pull (brings your repository up to date with a remote repository. Updates your working directory)
Code:
git pull remoteAlias - branch
git cherry-pick (fetches and merges files from a remote repository into your local repository)
Code:
git cherry-pick SHA
git log (lists all commits/commit history on your current branch)
Code:
git log
Recommended workflow
Quote:
- repo sync
- Create branch (repo start) <or use previously created branch>
- Do some programming/cherry-picking
- git status to see what changed
- git diff [file] to see exactly what was modified
- git add [all or selected] file(s)
- git commit -a | -m [message] | --amend to commit
Notes on repo syncing
Repo sync pulls in all changes from the remote repository defined in your local manifest
and update your working directory to match the state of said repository.

Firstly, git will not overwrite any commit, so don't worry about that.
However, there are two ways that repo sync handles the upstream updates.
If you work on an unnamed or non-tracking branch, repo sync leaves your HEAD and switches to the tip of the branch specified in the manifest. This makes it appear as though your changes were deleted.

If you are on a tracking branch, repo sync will rebase your commits on top of the branch tip, after updating your working directory.
(i.e., re-apply your changes after the upstream updates so you now have updated remote files plus your own commits)

Recommendation: you should create a tracking branch before committing. This does not mean every time you want to commit you should start a new branch, but, for better workflow you should have at least one main tracked branch. For testing various new features/cherry-picks its best to branch first before committing.
repo start my_branch frameworks/base

Notes on repo start
- You are automatically switched to the new branch (for the specified projects only) once repo start branch is executed.
- New branches are created based on the HEAD of the remote repo in your manifest.
- Projects not specified for the new branch (in the repo start command) will remain on their current branch.

Quote:
Example: You have commits on branch 1 and you decide to create branch 2
branch1 contains
ProjectA
ProjectB
ProjectC

repo start branch2 ProjectA ProjectC

Your build environment will now contain
branch2/ProjectA
branch1/ProjectB
branch2/ProjectC
This is important to note because if changes present in branch1/ProjectB depend on code in branch1/ProjectA or branch1/ProjectC you will run into errors if branch2/(projectA or ProjectC) does not contain those required changes. To avoid this, simply repo start branch2/ProjectB as well, even if you don't intend to make changes to this project on your new branch. Of course, if there are no dependencies, there is no need to branch additional projects.

- Other projects can be added to an existing branch by simply running repo start again and using the existing branch name
- If you create a tracking branch, repo sync will rebase it automatically. So you don't have to do it by hand.

Notes on cherry-picking
Manual
git fetch remoteBranch
git cherry-pick commit_SHA

Automatic
login to gerrit
click the downloads tab
copy & paste cherry-pick link into the appropriate project path in terminal

Regardless of the method used, cherry-picking a commit will not always result in a clean merge.
If there is a conflict you will see a message similar to Prerecorded image for...
A bad merge does not mean bad code. It simply means your working directory is not at the same point
as the working directory used for the commit you are attempting to pick. This may be because you are
picking a commit from one ROM to another or the working directory was updated since the commit was
uploaded to gerrit

Conflicts must be cleared manually.
Quote:
The simplest conflicts would present as merge tags
<<<<<<HEAD
=========
>>>>>>> commitMessage
This is not the only thing you should look out for however, there may also be
-- Duplicated or deleted lines of code/resources
-- Unnecessary resources
-- Missing resources

Use git diff to see which files conflict and again to see the changes in those files. Of course you have to actually open those files and make your edits/fixes. Once edidted, simply commit the changes to the existing cherry-picked commit
Quote:
git status
git add <changed files>
git commit (Opens the cherry-pick commit message)
Save ... and you're done
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anu6is For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Anu6is
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1940

DONATE TO ME
Reserved
The Following User Says Thank You to Anu6is For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Anu6is
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1940

DONATE TO ME
Reserved...
The Following User Says Thank You to Anu6is For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

steijn0
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks a lot! could you elaborate on the git diff function? as I am trying to build PA4+ w/ halo and cherry picking the 1st and 2nd part i figured out but the git diff function shows some syntaxes I don't follow as I have no background in coding but I want to learn!
N7100 (retired still taking care of her though)
ROM: PA 4.0
Kernel: stock PA

Hammerhead
ROM: PA 4+ (homebuilt) or XJParadroid
Kernel: Franco r(latest)

Flo
ROM: PA 4+ or AOKP
Kernel: Franco r(latest)

Anu6is
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1940

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by steijn0 View Post
Thanks a lot! could you elaborate on the git diff function? as I am trying to build PA4+ w/ halo and cherry picking the 1st and 2nd part i figured out but the git diff function shows some syntaxes I don't follow as I have no background in coding but I want to learn!
I've modified the OP with a few more details on diff.