Galaxy S3 (Telus - Canada) Charging Problems

Search This thread

AlexHarrisNL

Jan 14, 2014
Hi all,
I am hoping you can help. I am having a problem with my Galaxy S3 and I am trying to figure out what the problem is and how to solve it. Around the time of the 4.3 update I started noticing that my battery started to drain very quickly. Initially I just assumed that there was an issue with one of the apps or something in the 4.3 update causing the problem. I then started to notice that my battery would not charge past 51%. Here is the list of things I have tried to fix the issue:
- Different chargers and USB cables. I have tried charging from different power sources in my house and at work, also using my car charger and other peoples chargers that have a S3 that have had no issues.

- I have tried 2 other batteries which I purchased new, one official Samsung Battery and a 3rd party long life battery

- I have done a factory restore multiple times on the phone and also tried rooting and installing a custom ROM to eliminate software.

- I have checked the micro USB port for dust or lint and tried my best to clean out the connection. I haven't been to rough with it because I am worried about breaking the connection.

- I have tried charging the phone without the otter box on and I was worried that might be causing the charger not to go in completely and give a bad connection.

I have GSam installed and when the phone reaches 51% and you look to see the time till charge it always says - Calculating please come back later.

At no point when I have the usb cable in for charging does the charging light go off. Even after the battery hits 51% the charging light stays on but does not charge past that point.

If I leave the phone charging overnight I wake up in the morning and it says 100%, but as soon as I remove the charger it immediately drops back down to 51%. The outcome is the same with all the batteries I have, the only difference is the amount it charges up to. It seems to range from 48% to 51%. I have also tried charging with the unit off and on and can not get it past 51% on any of the batteries.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
I am having an issue myself with charging my S3. I ran into the same problem as you initially and ended up using ODIN to go back to stock. That fixed the drain/charging issue. However now mine wont stay connected. I believe the charging/USB port is going on it. I saw a lot of Samsung phones on Ebay with the same problem so it must be an issue with them. IDK if that could be your problem as well. I tried calling AT&T for a warranty replacement but they wanted me to pay the insurance premium ($200) for a phone that came out in 2012! The S5 will be out soon, they're nuts if they think I'll pay that now for a S3. The only way for me to get a full charge over night is to plug in my phone, then put my high school yearbook on the charger to apply pressure until the green light goes on. It sounds funny and honestly it is, but I'm cheap and don't want to pay the $200 until it's actually dead or I get my tax refund HAHA but then I'll probably just get an upgrade.

I was thinking of buying an extra battery with a external charger to see if that would help. Maybe if you get the external charger, charge it up then put it in your phone it will charge all the way.

AlexHarrisNL

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I haven't had an issue with the charge light not coming on but I am starting to think it might be a calibration issue. Somehow the issue has changed slightly. It still says 53% when i take the charger out but sometimes the battery life will increase while it is not plugged in. I am assuming that it is reading the % wrong. I am in the same boat with sending it off to repair. They want $150 as a base cost and I am worried that it might turn out they say No Fault Found and I am back to square one, and $150 shorter. I know what you mean about the S5 coming out soon, so I might try and wait it out until my contract is almost up and upgrade to the S5.