Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,337 Members 38,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GS4 MK2 questions..

Tip us?

rmartin346
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] GS4 MK2 questions..

Hello all,

This is my first post here at XDA!

So Ive searched so please forgive me as I'm still learning quite a bit.. But having an MK2 GS4 - why am I only limited to using Safestrap and limited ROMS? Currently running Hyperdrive which is great, but found my S3 w/ IllusionRom to be MUCH more customizable and clean.

Again, I'm newer to rooting but why is it that everything seems limited right now? After reading and reading, it appears that developers are sort of dancing around voiding warranty and Knox software.. Will this be resolved at some point? I basically want to have the ability to flash some of these other cool aosp roms, etc. I could care less about voiding warranty's. I want all this stock rom warranty crap off my phone!

Thanks guys!

SpookySager
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm not a developer, but it is my understanding that an unlocked boot loader is needed for the type of ROMs you want to flash. And the S4's bootloader is locked for every version other than MDK.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Naddict
Old
Thanks Meter 13,809
Questions belong in Q and A, and users are expected to use search and read before posting duplicate threads...

here is some help...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2613161

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2570151

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...81&postcount=6

rmartin346
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Naddict, thanks for moving my post to the appropriate thread.

I apologize if it appears I hadn't searched. However my question still remains unanswered. I have read the threads you suggested as well as many on my own.

Will the mk2 eventually be fully unlocked? Will the rest of us be able to run custom recoveries and flash more roms like MDK at some point?

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I'm still pulling the newb card and have yet to find an answer. I'm also a little impatient as I my s3 had many more options available.

Thanks again.

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin346 View Post

I apologize if it appears I hadn't searched. However my question still remains unanswered. I have read the threads you suggested as well as many on my own.

Will the mk2 eventually be fully unlocked? Will the rest of us be able to run custom recoveries and flash more roms like MDK at some point?

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I'm still pulling the newb card and have yet to find an answer. I'm also a little impatient as I my s3 had many more options available.

Thanks again.
Don't really know how you can expect an answer to your questions. I don't know of anyone on these boards that can see into the future. Will MK2 be unlocked? Doesn't look like it, but who knows. All you can do is keep an eye on the forums and hope for the best.

Sent from my NCC 1701 using Tapatalk 4
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 814
Quote:

Thanks again.
This question you are asking has had countless threads and posts devote to the locked bootloader on the S4 since the release of ME7 firmware. Not to get cheesey here but asking if the bootloader willl be unlocked is a ridiculous as no one has an answer to that and dozens of devs have been working on it for months on their spare time. The only mechanism available is safestrap and we are lucky to have that working for us becasue sooner or later that will most likley be blocked down the road. If you want an honest answer, in my view, we probably will not have a bootloader exploit comparable to the one found for MDK. Devs are working on a Kerec exploit but haven't been able to find one yet. Samsung and other cell phone manuf are responding to the Carriers requirements of having an unhackable phones because the enterprise customers are making that a requirement. The hacking community is a factional component of sales and if you want a phone for running custom ROMS, best save your money and get a DEV phone as that is the most likely way to do it.
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

Mightycaptain
Old
Thanks Meter 360
Quote:

Thanks again.
I have high hopes that some talented person or group will eventually find a work around for this boot loader issue whether safestrap(hashcode) figure out a kexec exploit. Or another Loki type exploit is found. The most current thread on this situation can be found in general and surge1223 is the op. But your right from a custom ROM standpoint the s3 is in a better position. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Devices:
LG G2 VS980-XDABBEB 2.1.0 (Daily Driver)
Nexus 7 2012-Dirty Unicorns 4.4.4
Nexus 7 2013-Dirty Unicorns 4.4.4
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014- Stock-Rooted
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4(MDK)-(Retired... For Now)-Liquid Smooth 4.4.2

rmartin346
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for all the feedback and again, I apologize if these questions have been covered or are seemingly up answerable.

As I originally stated, I am a newb. Simply jealous of the mdk guys. I'd like some more freedom and thought going from S3 to S4 wouldn't change much as far as customizable options. Guess I should have done more research..

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 814
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback and again, I apologize if these questions have been covered or are seemingly up answerable.

As I originally stated, I am a newb. Simply jealous of the mdk guys. I'd like some more freedom and thought going from S3 to S4 wouldn't change much as far as customizable options. Guess I should have done more research..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,593

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Hit up Swappa like I did and grab a MDK S4 and wait for it to come like a Lil kid at Christmas....
Which is what I'm doing. Or jump ship over to like... Sprint and trip your Knox flag and install CWM.
Or... Rob a bank so you can afford a dev edition S4.

Swappa it is..
Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]