Post Reply

Problems on TW after trying CM11

OP SantinoInc

20th January 2014, 11:40 AM   |  #1  
SantinoInc's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 719
 
2,469 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Ok, so here it is: tried CM11 and decided it was a little too buggy for me. Went into recovery and did a factory reset a couple times and also SYSTEM, CACHE, and DALVIK. From there i restored my Odex Blue backup w/o incident.

However, i noticed that Swiftkey suddenly said it couldnt d/l the language pack. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Nothing. Google searched the problem and read numerous posts. Cant figure it out.

I then wanted to test another app that needs to download data. My weather/clock app has the same problem. Wont d/l any new skins. My alternate app market same issue... D/L will start but will never get past 0%.

This is clearly relates to resoring TW after flashing CM11. There must be a step i missed or something.

What would happen if i went into TWRP and chose to FORMAT DATA (clears internal data) and then attempted to restore my Odexed blue backup? I have the feeling that we are bot supposed to wipe internal data but i have no idea how to sort out this problem

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
20th January 2014, 11:49 AM   |  #2  
micmars's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa Bay
Thanks Meter: 10,062
 
5,898 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoInc

Ok, so here it is: tried CM11 and decided it was a little too buggy for me. Went into recovery and did a factory reset a couple times and also SYSTEM, CACHE, and DALVIK. From there i restored my Odex Blue backup w/o incident.

However, i noticed that Swiftkey suddenly said it couldnt d/l the language pack. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Nothing. Google searched the problem and read numerous posts. Cant figure it out.

I then wanted to test another app that needs to download data. My weather/clock app has the same problem. Wont d/l any new skins. My alternate app market same issue... D/L will start but will never get past 0%.

This is clearly relates to resoring TW after flashing CM11. There must be a step i missed or something.

What would happen if i went into TWRP and chose to FORMAT DATA (clears internal data) and then attempted to restore my Odexed blue backup? I have the feeling that we are bot supposed to wipe internal data but i have no idea how to sort out this problem

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It's the symlinks that point to your internal storage that b need to be restored. You can use ADB command lines to reconnect those, or take a more drastic measure that will get you to where you want.

I'll paste the options of which I'm aware momentarily...

--------Begin guidance from @freeza, posted over the weekend in his stock rooted MJ4 thread---------

" please try these commands in adb or terminal emulator... make a backup of your internal storage just to be safe.

chown -R media_rw:media_rw /data/media/
find /data/media/ -type d -exec chmod 775 {} ';'
find /data/media/ -type f -exec chmod 664 {} ';'

PS: I'd run these in recovery... "

--------End comments from freeza------

--------Begin alternative method, provided to me by a forum member uncomfortable with ADB and reporting it working-----

"What I did was just wipe everything and started from scratch and everything seems to be normal again..."

---------End comments if not using ADB----

My guess is the latter method was a wipe of everything from within TWRP.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Last edited by micmars; 20th January 2014 at 12:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 11:52 AM   |  #3  
SantinoInc's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 719
 
2,469 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
GDI, i knew i shouldnt of flashed CM11. I knew something stupid like this would happen! Im ADB illiterate so please break it down for me a bit.

Thanks for the reply Mic!

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to SantinoInc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 12:01 PM   |  #4  
micmars's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa Bay
Thanks Meter: 10,062
 
5,898 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoInc

GDI, i knew i shouldnt of flashed CM11. I knew something stupid like this would happen! Im ADB illiterate so please break it down for me a bit.

Thanks for the reply Mic!

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

See above. You can do it without ADB and still be up-and-running, though it's a bit more work on the backend.

If going the command line route, you'd have your phone in recovery, be running the latest version of Android SDK and Eclipse, and running from the subdirectory of where the Android SDK is installed labeled "platform tools." You'll need to run them from a command prompt within Windows, and be at that directory from within the command window.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Last edited by micmars; 20th January 2014 at 12:12 PM.
20th January 2014, 12:05 PM   |  #5  
SantinoInc's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 719
 
2,469 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Mic, if i choose the format data option in TWRP will i be able to restore nandroid on my external sd card? Im afraid once i wipe internal sd card TWRP will not function properly and i wont have a chance to restore a backup from external sd card

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to SantinoInc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 12:16 PM   |  #6  
micmars's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tampa Bay
Thanks Meter: 10,062
 
5,898 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantinoInc

Mic, if i choose the format data option in TWRP will i be able to restore nandroid on my external sd card? Im afraid once i wipe internal sd card TWRP will not function properly and i wont have a chance to restore a backup from external sd card

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'm sorry bro, I haven't done either, though I suspect it's one of the wipe options from within TWRP. If you copy a TWRP backup to your external storage, you will likely be able to put it back after the wipe. Nothing is ever gone if you reset the pointers to your storage.

Let me try to get you some assistance; I believe @Goddly can provide guidance.

OK, here's your update (not from Goddly), you should restore nothing from a prior backup from a previous TouchWiz rom if you have gone from CM11 to TW4.3. I believe it's square one for ya (either Odin or Mobile Odin tar file flash). Just advice from two whom would know.

Or...if you did flash the Skunk Ape1 rom, reinstalled TWRP and re-rooted, you should be able to flash a new TouchWiz rom and could try to restore a prior backup. I don't see why that wouldn't work. I still think starting over is your best call.

Edit: Here are the steps that make the most sense to me if you don't use ADB and are having issues with a TW 4.3 ROM after flashing an AOSP 4.4.2 build:

1. Flash Full Stock (no root or recovery) ROM of MJ4, tar file flashed from Mobile Odin or Odin (tar can be found here)
2. Inject root using Chainfire method using tar.md5 file here,
3. Install TWRP 2.6.3.7, tar.md5 file here, IMG file here,
4. Flash your heart out


Sent from my gimped and overpriced iMac mini, because the dude that owns the place thinks that they are just a terrific value, and still are shiny...
Last edited by micmars; 20th January 2014 at 02:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #7  
SantinoInc's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 719
 
2,469 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Man, you are thorough! Thanks so much for your time once again! I used skunks file in traditional Odin. When that was done I did a Factory Reset. Then I went back to Odin to flash TWRP recovery. Finally, I restored my good ole SS Odexed. Definitely not worth the hassle IMO. You really can't beat a stock based rom IMO.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to SantinoInc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #8  
T3CHW0LF's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 135
 
219 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
I had the same problem so what I did was transfer all my important files to my sdcard since I'm rocking a 64 GB card then I wiped everything but my sdcard and finally reinstalled TW.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium HD app

The Following User Says Thank You to T3CHW0LF For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Sprint Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank