[Q] Weird noises from phone

Tip us?

Kabloinko
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sktr021 View Post

Um, actually I exchanged my first device with a new one and it is gone. I was super sensitive to the sound although my cousin and the best buy guy could not hear it. I was exactly as OP described. Totally gone.

The one difference in the two phones is the first one I received needed to receive updates out of the box and the second one already had the updates. So i'm assuming the first was from an older batch of phones.

PS THIS IS A VERIZON DEVICE!!!!

OP I would suggest swapping it out. It doesn't hurt to swap it out and get a new one. If it still does it your only out a few minutes of time.
This sounds encouraging... so maybe it will be fixed on mine when I get it back? Store would not hear of just swapping it out for a new one on the spot so I'm stuck waiting.

bachera
Old
(Last edited by bachera; 25th December 2013 at 08:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 194
usually when you hear hissesbits bad reception, but sometimes its bad simcard and rarely some hobbyist or secret agency listening in. Try elimination apps also, some could interfere somehow when trying to setup a tap

try different sim/network just in case, note different sim will erase some stuff

I forgot the obvious, liquid, damp environments like shower can break microphones or speakers or cause previously isolated components to leak into another

PAGOT
Old
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachera View Post
usually when you hear hissesbits bad reception, but sometimes its bad simcard and rarely some hobbyist or secret agency listening in. Try elimination apps also, some could interfere somehow when trying to setup a tap

try different sim/network just in case, note different sim will erase some stuff

I forgot the obvious, liquid, damp environments like shower can break microphones or speakers or cause previously isolated components to leak into another
Yeah. No. That what we spoke of, is well documented and reported in N4.

Allegedly it's a shielding issue and as someone said the speaker or some other part is picking up static etc.
(Continued with data activity)

As said it's also on idle when screen of, phone sleeping....

The showering would make sense if they would do it by default in LG factories
Same goes with aps.

But there are 2 issues that are reported for G2. One i think is the call quality for Verizon I think that maybe can be fixed with a software update.

And then there is this. It's static noise, crackling, etc which can be heard "anytime". It's feint, but there. Where it's annoying for me is in the silent parts of a call, when no one talks and my ear is near the device.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

^ don't have that phone anymore, too lazy to change the picture...

LG G2
Stock 4.2.2 with G2 Xposed variant 0
echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness
chmod 444 /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness
echo "who cares, always changes with the kernel..." > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table

Quadrant score never matters!

bachera
Old
Thanks Meter 194
actually just get a glass, or look at the mirror when you showered and how much condense is on it. then think, could that condense form on/in phone, you'd be amazed your microphone/speaker etc etc

Sonys strategy should be copied by all phone manufacturers

Sktr021
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabloinko View Post
This sounds encouraging... so maybe it will be fixed on mine when I get it back? Store would not hear of just swapping it out for a new one on the spot so I'm stuck waiting.

Where did you get it and how long ago?

When I spoke to Verizon they said that it is considered a manufacturer defect and that it would be absolutely no issue switching it. He also said they weren't receiving many complaints about this issue.

I purchased mine at Best Buy and they swapped it out (after 3 days) without any questions at all. He just said no problem and switched it out.
I would pitch a fit if they won't work with you. It wouldn't even hurt them as it would be sent back to LG as defective anyways.

Kabloinko
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sktr021 View Post
Where did you get it and how long ago?

When I spoke to Verizon they said that it is considered a manufacturer defect and that it would be absolutely no issue switching it. He also said they weren't receiving many complaints about this issue.

I purchased mine at Best Buy and they swapped it out (after 3 days) without any questions at all. He just said no problem and switched it out.
I would pitch a fit if they won't work with you. It wouldn't even hurt them as it would be sent back to LG as defective anyways.
I'm in Sweden and got mine at a normal electronics store, the international version and not operator branded or anything. I got mine Dec 16 and went back to the store Dec 21. The guy at the store first wanted to do a warranty claim but I called bull**** and stated DOA since it was not even a week old. I was in that store for an hour trying to just explain what the hell was wrong with it. They claim they couldn't just switch it for a new one since they couldn't reproduce the problem. I don't know how the hell they expect to reproduce the problem with a soundsystem pumping in store (no chance in hell of having as good hearing as at night or when it's just quiet!) and listening for it in a soundproof room seems kind of moot too. My apartment is not soundproof nor is it isolated from radio interference or even in a particularly hot spot for cell reception.

I'm guessing LG Sweden haven't heard so much about this since they probably haven't sold as many of them over here. I'm emailing LG to hear what they have to say for themselves. I am in no way backing down on this. if I get it back and the service papers state nothing done and nothing wrong (in which case the store will make me pay the shipping fees) I will void the purchase. Will see if they try to fight me on that too. I'm bringing big brother to the store next time, he gets... loud.

Kabloinko
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Info 2 Update:

I was just in the store to get my phone after getting an email that said it had gotten back from the servicecenter having been repaired but the DOA claim was denied. The repairshop had added little to no info on what exactly they had repaired or why the DOA had been denied, I asked the woman in the store for clarification and I stated that the fact that the phone had been repaired it clearly showed that it was DOA. She went back to check and came back and questioned why her co-worker had even sent it in for repair in the first place as it was de facto DOA and their routine is not to send DOAs for repair.

I never did found out exactly was what wrong with it, I got a brand new phone and an apology right there on the spot. I'm about to charge my new phone now so I can't say if the new phone has the same sound issues or heat problems yet. I'll come back and edit this post with the results, just for future reference.

PAGOT
Old
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I was just in the store to get my phone after getting an email that said it had gotten back from the servicecenter having been repaired but the DOA claim was denied. The repairshop had added little to no info on what exactly they had repaired or why the DOA had been denied, I asked the woman in the store for clarification and I stated that the fact that the phone had been repaired it clearly showed that it was DOA. She went back to check and came back and questioned why her co-worker had even sent it in for repair in the first place as it was de facto DOA and their routine is not to send DOAs for repair.

I never did found out exactly was what wrong with it, I got a brand new phone and an apology right there on the spot. I'm about to charge my new phone now so I can't say if the new phone has the same sound issues or heat problems yet. I'll come back and edit this post with the results, just for future reference.
yeah if you edit it I won't get a notification. Just reply normally and thanks for the info

LG G2
echo "who cares, always changes with the kernel..." > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/UV_mV_table

Kabloinko
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGOT View Post
yeah if you edit it I won't get a notification. Just reply normally and thanks for the info

Have tried it out for a little while now, not enough for it to get hot, but I can confirm that the persistent noise from the top of the phone is present in the new one too. Even tried disconnecting electronics that might interfere (cordless phones, wifi dongles, computer, speakers) but no change.
As for call quality, the voice quality is definitely better, no tin-can or garbled speech, but if both sides happen to speak at the same time it gets a bit choppy and cut off.

I'm going to post a question on LG Sweden's FB page and see if they have the balls to answer or simply ignore it and call it a feature most people can't hear. I'm curious as to what exact part in the phone is making the noise.

PAGOT
Old
(Last edited by PAGOT; 21st January 2014 at 04:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 321

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Have tried it out for a little while now, not enough for it to get hot, but I can confirm that the persistent noise from the top of the phone is present in the new one too. Even tried disconnecting electronics that might interfere (cordless phones, wifi dongles, computer, speakers) but no change.
As for call quality, the voice quality is definitely better, no tin-can or garbled speech, but if both sides happen to speak at the same time it gets a bit choppy and cut off.

I'm going to post a question on LG Sweden's FB page and see if they have the balls to answer or simply ignore it and call it a feature most people can't hear. I'm curious as to what exact part in the phone is making the noise.
Just as I suspected... it's present on every device...(maybe environment dependant)

Ppl just do not hear it or do not wanna hear it

Don't expect a fix. N4 never saw an acknowledgement....

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

LG G2