XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

All new AT&T SGS4's unlockable?

Tip us?

TLK3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default All new AT&T SGS4's unlockable?

I might need to replace my phone because I'm having issues with dropped calls and losing cell service. Flashed various modems, updated APNs, etc. I refuse to get a replacement if the bootloader is going to be locked. Is this the case for all new phones? What are my options besides swapping phones, selling the new one, and buying an older model without a locked bootloader? Or is that about it? I see AT&T is not selling a developer edition yet. Please advise.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 395

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK3 View Post
I might need to replace my phone because I'm having issues with dropped calls and losing cell service. Flashed various modems, updated APNs, etc. I refuse to get a replacement if the bootloader is going to be locked. Is this the case for all new phones? What are my options besides swapping phones, selling the new one, and buying an older model without a locked bootloader? Or is that about it? I see AT&T is not selling a developer edition yet. Please advise.

Technically all bootloaders are locked, the older one is simply exploitable. Chances are any new S4 you get from AT&T will be MF3+ and have no exploit. Your choices are pay full price for the international version, get a different phone with less hassles, find an AT&T one for sale on swappa or something that has MDL, or deal with the issues.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)

hednik
Old
Thanks Meter 707

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9 View Post
Technically all bootloaders are locked, the older one is simply exploitable. Chances are any new S4 you get from AT&T will be MF3+ and have no exploit. Your choices are pay full price for the international version, get a different phone with less hassles, find an AT&T one for sale on swappa or something that has MDL, or deal with the issues.
If you don't want a locked bootloader...buy a nexus
Click thanks if you think I helped you.

Samsung Captivate - CM 11
AT&T Galaxy SII - SHOstock
AT&T Galaxy SII Skyrocket - DEAD
AT&T Galaxy S4 - Beanstalk 4.4 - MDL
MOTO G - Stock

COOK/HACK of BLiNDrom and T-motion RoM

TheAxman
Old
Thanks Meter 8745

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK3 View Post

What baseband does your device have? ie MF3?