Ask a question

No registration required

All new AT&T SGS4's unlockable?

OP TLK3

21st January 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31

115 posts
I might need to replace my phone because I'm having issues with dropped calls and losing cell service. Flashed various modems, updated APNs, etc. I refuse to get a replacement if the bootloader is going to be locked. Is this the case for all new phones? What are my options besides swapping phones, selling the new one, and buying an older model without a locked bootloader? Or is that about it? I see AT&T is not selling a developer edition yet. Please advise.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
21st January 2014, 07:58 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 643

1,287 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK3

I might need to replace my phone because I'm having issues with dropped calls and losing cell service. Flashed various modems, updated APNs, etc. I refuse to get a replacement if the bootloader is going to be locked. Is this the case for all new phones? What are my options besides swapping phones, selling the new one, and buying an older model without a locked bootloader? Or is that about it? I see AT&T is not selling a developer edition yet. Please advise.

Technically all bootloaders are locked, the older one is simply exploitable. Chances are any new S4 you get from AT&T will be MF3+ and have no exploit. Your choices are pay full price for the international version, get a different phone with less hassles, find an AT&T one for sale on swappa or something that has MDL, or deal with the issues.
21st January 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #3  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 708

1,525 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9

Technically all bootloaders are locked, the older one is simply exploitable. Chances are any new S4 you get from AT&T will be MF3+ and have no exploit. Your choices are pay full price for the international version, get a different phone with less hassles, find an AT&T one for sale on swappa or something that has MDL, or deal with the issues.

If you don't want a locked bootloader...buy a nexus
21st January 2014, 06:34 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag ViSiONViLLE
Thanks Meter: 13,637

10,997 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK3

What baseband does your device have? ie MF3?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread