Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Going out of Bluetooth range and back again?

OP ruggs1234

17th January 2014, 01:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

45 posts
Ive had my Smartwatch 2 for 3 months and it and my Samsung Galaxy S3 are running up to date software on Smart Connect and Smartwatch 2.

The problem I have is that because of the shape of my house (long and thin) when i'm at home my watch will often lose its bluetooth link with the phone and simply reconnect when I come back in to range. At least it does MOST of the time.

But randomly I get the message "Pairing with device will clear data from previously paired device". It then requires a reset on the watch and unpairing the watch and repairing on the phone.

There seems to be no logic to these "lock-ups". Sometimes I can go in and out of range once and it locks...sometimes I get no lock-ups all day. Sometimes i'm out of range for a few seconds, sometimes minutes. It seems as though something prevents the automatic repairing on some occassions and not others. And sometimes you have no idea the watch has failed to repair because that message sometimes also fails to appear.

Everything else about the watch I like...but this is driving me nuts.

Are there any rules to how the watch handles bluetooth. As nobody else on here seems to have mentioned this maybe its something i'm doing wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.
17th January 2014, 01:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 150

592 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggs1234

Ive had my Smartwatch 2 for 3 months and it and my Samsung Galaxy S3 are running up to date software on Smart Connect and Smartwatch 2.

The problem I have is that because of the shape of my house (long and thin) when i'm at home my watch will often lose its bluetooth link with the phone and simply reconnect when I come back in to range. At least it does MOST of the time.

But randomly I get the message "Pairing with device will clear data from previously paired device". It then requires a reset on the watch and unpairing the watch and repairing on the phone.

There seems to be no logic to these "lock-ups". Sometimes I can go in and out of range once and it locks...sometimes I get no lock-ups all day. Sometimes i'm out of range for a few seconds, sometimes minutes. It seems as though something prevents the automatic repairing on some occassions and not others. And sometimes you have no idea the watch has failed to repair because that message sometimes also fails to appear.

Are there any rules to how the watch handles bluetooth. As nobody else on here seems to have mentioned this maybe its something i'm doing wrong.

I have the same phone and watch combo and mine connects back up again without any problems. Is your S3 rooted and if so, with which ROM? I am guessing your watch is on the latest firmware.

I am using a 4.1.2 ROM called BoneStock, but will flash one of the new 4.3 ROMs (now leaning towards MOAR TW 4.3).
17th January 2014, 02:14 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 132

450 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggs1234

I have a different phone, htc one sv on stock Rom and I have never experienced the issue you described. Always reconnects without an issue.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk
17th January 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

45 posts
Thankyou very much for your replies.

I am now more confused as it does seem there is some sort of problem with my set-up between the watch and my Samsung S3.

The firmware on the watch is up to date as is the Smart Connect app and the Smartwatch 2 app.

My S3 is running stock 4.1.2 (and not rooted) and I have no desire to update it with all the problems that might bring.

It doesn't seem as though there are any further settings on the watch I could try adjusting. There doesn't seem to be any further Bluetooth settings on my S3 but I would love to be corrected if i'm wrong.

Any ideas?
Last edited by ruggs1234; 17th January 2014 at 04:54 PM.
17th January 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #5  
Flag Scotland
Thanks Meter: 130

683 posts
More
I have an S4 and mine has locked up and refused to reconnect again. the first few times i had to reset the watch to get it going again but i figured out how to fix it without having to reset.

if they are refusing to reconnect i just goto my phone and unpair the watch, then do a scan for bluetooth devices and it should find the watch ... pair and everything should be fine. no resets or uninstalls needed.
Last edited by Danny-B-; 17th January 2014 at 08:16 PM.
17th January 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-B-

I have an S4 and mine has locked up and refused to reconnect again. the first few times i had to reset the watch to get it going again but i figured out how to fix it without having to reset.

if they are refusing to reconnect i just goto my phone and unpair the watch, then do a scan for bluetooth devices and it should find the watch ... pair and everything should be fine. no resets or uninstalls needed.

Thankyou for the suggestion. This will make the re-pairing process a little simpler and I will try it.

But I am hoping to work out why the phone and watch sometimes lock up when they they should reconnect automatically.
19th January 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #7  

72 posts
I go out of range often and lose the connection, it then often won't reconnect. I've found the fastest way to get it to reconnect is to turn the Bluetooth off on the watch and then back on again. As long as the smart connect app is running on the phone it will then reconnect, most of the time. This is using an s3 and omnirom.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
21st January 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
I use a HTC One (4.3) and Ive never experienced this problem.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread