FORUMS

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more

Microsoft Reaches Pre-Install Agreement With New OEMs

As of late, Microsoft has been making a subtle but widespread play into the … more

Discover XDA: Discover Greater

We’ve all been there at some point in our XDA lives; we used to spend hours browsing over the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Basic questions about rooting

8th January 2014, 09:11 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Hi,

I have some questions about rooting. I got the G Pad for xmas. Previously I only had "experience" in using my iPhone

Pretty soon I realized that I am not allowed to push apps to my SD card without having my G Pad rooted. So I started reading about rooting...

There seem to be many different options as far as I found out, please correct me if I am wrong.

Now when I want to install another ROM like Cyanogenmod for e.g. I have to root the stock first? Right or wrong?

If read a lot of posts where people were talking about "installing drivers" and not working stuff (like knock on/off or several games). Where do I get the drivers from to install them on the G Pad? Is this step also necessary when I install Android 4.4 from Google and not Cyanogenmod (for e.g.)?

If the main reason for me to root is that I am allowed to push apps to my SD card and uninstall unwanted stock apps, isn't it enough to root the stock LG Android?

I hope you can help me out and excuse me pls for my maybe silly questions.

Kind regards,
Michael
 
 
8th January 2014, 10:07 AM |#2  
GPadmanabh's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The motherland of Technology, Ethicks, Science, Literature...
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2oo2

Hi,

I have some questions about rooting. I got the G Pad for xmas. Previously I only had "experience" in using my iPhone

Pretty soon I realized that I am not allowed to push apps to my SD card without having my G Pad rooted. So I started reading about rooting...

There seem to be many different options as far as I found out, please correct me if I am wrong.

Now when I want to install another ROM like Cyanogenmod for e.g. I have to root the stock first? Right or wrong?

If read a lot of posts where people were talking about "installing drivers" and not working stuff (like knock on/off or several games). Where do I get the drivers from to install them on the G Pad? Is this step also necessary when I install Android 4.4 from Google and not Cyanogenmod (for e.g.)?

If the main reason for me to root is that I am allowed to push apps to my SD card and uninstall unwanted stock apps, isn't it enough to root the stock LG Android?

I hope you can help me out and excuse me pls for my maybe silly questions.

Kind regards,
Michael


Answer (1) :::

Yes ! If You have rooted ur phone , u will be able to Delete stock apps , pushe apps to ext-sd...!

its absolutely r8...!

Answer(2) :::

U need to root ur phone in order to Flash CM or any other custom rom...

If ur phone has OFFICIAL 4.4 update available then u dont need to root , use LG PC SUIT for this purpose and it would be available for download from ur LG website in ' SUPPORTS ' .

Answer(3) :::

Phone drivers fir WINDOWS are available on ur phone support page..

Search ur phone name on LG site and goto Option :-- SUPPORT ..

There must exist Driver Download link...

or just google it.....
The Following User Says Thank You to GPadmanabh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2014, 12:44 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterprotocol0097

Answer (1) :::

Answer(3) :::

Phone drivers fir WINDOWS are available on ur phone support page..

Search ur phone name on LG site and goto Option :-- SUPPORT ..

There must exist Driver Download link...

or just google it.....

I understood it that way that there are drivers for the tablet / phone's hardware for Android, aren't they?
8th January 2014, 02:52 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Staatsliedenbuurt
Thanks Meter: 56
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2oo2

If the main reason for me to root is that I am allowed to push apps to my SD card and uninstall unwanted stock apps, isn't it enough to root the stock LG Android?

Yes, it is.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ASW1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2014, 09:28 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 90
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2oo2

I understood it that way that there are drivers for the tablet / phone's hardware for Android, aren't they?

The drivers for the G Pad are baked in to the kernel or the ROM (not sure), either way you won't be installing drivers on the G Pad like in windows.

BTW, seeing android rooting for the first time I thought the drivers mentioned meant drivers for the device, like you thought
The Following User Says Thank You to EdenGottlieb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th January 2014, 10:10 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenGottlieb

BTW, seeing android rooting for the first time I thought the drivers mentioned meant drivers for the device, like you thought


Yeah, I thought the performance problems some people have come from driver problems between the Android OS and the device itself. So by rooting a tablet in general and installing a mod (whatever) does not need one to install drivers for the devices' hardware (e.g. bluetooth, camera or graphic chip) in Android OS, right?

Kind regards,
Michael
8th January 2014, 10:13 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 90
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos2oo2

Yeah, I thought the performance problems some people have come from driver problems between the Android OS and the device itself. So by rooting a tablet in general and installing a mod (whatever) does not need one to install drivers for the devices' hardware (e.g. bluetooth, camera or graphic chip) in Android OS, right?



Kind regards,

Michael


No, you don't need to install hardware. Performance issues of stock rom are caused by the heavy lG skin and bloatware, AOSP performence issues were caused by bad drivers for the hardware, but it was fixed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to EdenGottlieb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th January 2014, 11:46 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I have another question:

currently there are two ways to return from whatever back to stock rom:

Mentioned here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2543350
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2471370

This involves the LG Tool to restore the image from their servers. Does this mean the G Pad is virtually unbrakeable (unbrickable)? So that I always can do the Factory reset when I messed something up during root/flash? Or are there any chances I can do something that really brakes the G Pad and makes it unusable?


Kind regards,
Michael
15th January 2014, 03:20 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Flag Close Esbjerg in Denmark
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Smile
I am going to bump this because i have the same question
21st January 2014, 08:43 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Flag Close Esbjerg in Denmark
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Talking New thread to answer your last question :)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2619497
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes