Older versions of Google Voice no longer connecting to the Google Network

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
By internationalistic, Junior Member on 21st January 2014, 09:53 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have been using Google Voice v0.4.2.32 on my Android Phone for a couple years. On 01/03/2014 my Google Voice App stopped working on three of my phones. It no longer updates when I receive new Voicemails or texts. First I checked for service outages but I didn't find any. I was able to log into my account online, but not through the android app. Then I went though these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. I first tried to log out and then log back into the app but I got this error message: "We have a problem. Your account status could not be loaded. Please try again."

2. I updated my version successively to,,, and when I got to, I couldn't use the app anymore because it required that my phone be signed into a Google Account (I use an android phone but I do not have it connected to a Google Account)

3. Then I did the same thing on another android phone that I have connected to a Google Account and when I updated to, and I signed in with the google account connected to my phone, it worked. After that, I downgraded back to and the app would no longer connect to the network. It would not connect to the network even when I tried to sign in with the Google Account attached to the phone on versions older than I kept getting this error: "We have a problem. Your account status could not be loaded. Please try again."

I posted this on the Google Voice Forum and someone else also confirmed the same problem and another person seemed to have the same issue in a different post. I would provide links but I am prevented because I have not met the minimum post requirement on the forum.

This essentially prevents any android phone that's not connected to a Google account from using the Google Voice app. Before January 3, 2014, anyone could use GV on their phone if they stayed with and older version (which was a much smaller app than the most recent version). Now only users using a more recent version ( of Google Voice with a Google account attached to their phone can use the app.

I did not find any announcements by Google of this change in their service. Does anyone else have this problem and/or know why this change has been made.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread