[Q] Going from CleanRom 3.5 to CM 11 Nightlies

Tip us?

oinop
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Going from CleanRom 3.5 to CM 11 Nightlies

Hi, everyone.

I haven't updated my GN2 for a long time.

I just checked my phone, and it currently sports CleanRom 3.5, which is 4.1.2 with VRAMC3.

I gleaned from some FAQS and posts that I do not want the 4.3 OTA update since there's no way to unlock it yet.

Is there a step that I should go through first before flashing CM 11? Or can I just follow the instruction there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTRUCTIONS
First time installing CyanogenMod 11.0 to your Galaxy Note 2 I605, or coming from another ROM:
- Read known issues ans FAQs
- Flash the latest official ClockworkMod-Recovery
- Copy GApps and CM11.0 ZIPs to your SDCard
- Boot into Recovery
- Flash CM11.0 zip from SDCard
- Flash GApps zip from SDCard
- DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
- Reboot
- Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
- Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!
-------------------------------------------------------

Also, according to the instruction, Titanium Backup is not recommended. Is there an alternative that works well with CM 11?
Maybe Mybackup Pro?

I'd appreciate your suggestions and tips.

Thanks.

nullmem
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinop View Post
Hi, everyone.

I haven't updated my GN2 for a long time.

I just checked my phone, and it currently sports CleanRom 3.5, which is 4.1.2 with VRAMC3.

I gleaned from some FAQS and posts that I do not want the 4.3 OTA update since there's no way to unlock it yet.

Is there a step that I should go through first before flashing CM 11? Or can I just follow the instruction there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTRUCTIONS
First time installing CyanogenMod 11.0 to your Galaxy Note 2 I605, or coming from another ROM:
- Read known issues ans FAQs
- Flash the latest official ClockworkMod-Recovery
- Copy GApps and CM11.0 ZIPs to your SDCard
- Boot into Recovery
- Flash CM11.0 zip from SDCard
- Flash GApps zip from SDCard
- DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)
- Reboot
- Don't restore system data using Titanium Backup!
- Restoring Apps + Data might cause problems and is not recommended, avoid it if possible!
-------------------------------------------------------

Also, according to the instruction, Titanium Backup is not recommended. Is there an alternative that works well with CM 11?
Maybe Mybackup Pro?

I'd appreciate your suggestions and tips.

Thanks.
A few notes that might help:

1. You can use TWRP instead of ClockworkMod if you want, just make sure your using latest version.
2. just do not forget the data wipe / factory reset. (TWRP wipes data with factory reset)
3. I use Titanium Backup and it works fine. I will explain the warning a bit for you. First of all it's never a good idea to restore system apps period, especially from another rom. Restoring user apps works fine if your backups are already 4.3/4.4, I restore my apps every time i do a clean install of CM11 and it works fine. However you are coming from older rom, so what I recommend is to only restore apps you absolutely need the data from, and test them. if they crash just uninstall and re-install from play store, problem solved.

oinop
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullmem View Post
A few notes that might help:

1. You can use TWRP instead of ClockworkMod if you want, just make sure your using latest version.
2. just do not forget the data wipe / factory reset. (TWRP wipes data with factory reset)
3. I use Titanium Backup and it works fine. I will explain the warning a bit for you. First of all it's never a good idea to restore system apps period, especially from another rom. Restoring user apps works fine if your backups are already 4.3/4.4, I restore my apps every time i do a clean install of CM11 and it works fine. However you are coming from older rom, so what I recommend is to only restore apps you absolutely need the data from, and test them. if they crash just uninstall and re-install from play store, problem solved.
Thanks for the help!! I'll do a nandroid backup and do an install following your instruction.

I'[ll come back with an update.

oinop
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinop View Post
Thanks for the help!! I'll do a nandroid backup and do an install following your instruction.

I'[ll come back with an update.
I just did it, and it went without a hitch.

1) I first downloaded Goomanager and updated my TWRP to the latest version.
2) Then I just followed the instruction on the CM11 post.
3) Voila! I got Kitkat!

Thanks for the help!