Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] No phone or data service unless in AT&T hotspot

OP lukest

20th January 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Weird issue, I get no phone or data service unless I am in an AT&T hotspot. Anybody know what the issue could be?

Samsung Galaxy S2 i777
I've had the phone about 2 years and have had no problems until last week when I changed out the micro usb port.
Any thoughts are welcome, particularly related to how access within a hotspot is different than outside of one.

Thanks!
Steve
21st January 2014, 01:14 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,451

679 posts
I've come to understand that the micro-usb port for these phones is tied to the network radio antenna, and there are different versionsrevisions of the part available. Considering that the wifi system is not related, it makes sense that you are able to connect to "hot-spots". I've read mention of people finding success after switching to a different "version/revision" (printed on the port/radio) of the unit.

I have also read that users are cutting the board to separate the new USB charge port from the useable data radio antenna.

If I find a link to one of those posts, I'll link it here, but that's my guess.

-Cyril

Edit: Here is the same issue, so definitely related to charge-port replacement...

- This post says that genuine equipment matters

- Here is a post citing success by separating (cutting) the useable antenna from the damaged USB port.

- This page finds success via cutting the board, or using one particular ebay seller. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukest

Weird issue, I get no phone or data service unless I am in an AT&T hotspot. Anybody know what the issue could be?

Samsung Galaxy S2 i777
I've had the phone about 2 years and have had no problems until last week when I changed out the micro usb port.
Any thoughts are welcome, particularly related to how access within a hotspot is different than outside of one.

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited by cyril279; 21st January 2014 at 01:40 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Thank you cyril!
A lot of useful info here cyril, thank you for the thorough reply!
-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril279

I've come to understand that the micro-usb port for these phones is tied to the network radio antenna, and there are different versionsrevisions of the part available. Considering that the wifi system is not related, it makes sense that you are able to connect to "hot-spots". I've read mention of people finding success after switching to a different "version/revision" (printed on the port/radio) of the unit.

I have also read that users are cutting the board to separate the new USB charge port from the useable data radio antenna.

If I find a link to one of those posts, I'll link it here, but that's my guess.

-Cyril

Edit: Here is the same issue, so definitely related to charge-port replacement...

- This post says that genuine equipment matters

- Here is a post citing success by separating (cutting) the useable antenna from the damaged USB port.

- This page finds success via cutting the board, or using one particular ebay seller. good luck.

21st January 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Replaced old usb and new antenna -- still no service
Update: I put the old usb port in and still no service (recall that i used to have service with old usb, just couldn't charge).
Also, put in new antenna, and still no service.
Now the question is why would I no longer have service with my old usb?
The Following User Says Thank You to lukest For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd January 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,451

679 posts
Are you sure that you plugged that antenna cord back onto the board? The original should certainly give you signal if it did before.

No firmware changes? no apn changes? Was there anything else that you changed recently?
The Following User Says Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread