Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 46,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking for opinions on camera, especially from parents

Tip us?

mlin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhitersxs View Post
With stabilization off and in sports mode the camera reminded me of the note 2. I remember my note 2 snapped pictures quickly and in focus. The focus is not as good on the note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Thanks, I ended up getting the N3 and so far have been really pretty happy with the camera. Having stabilization on really kills any opportunity to capture multiple pics in succession but I noticed with it off and in decent light, the pics still turn out pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskarpa View Post
Here's a pic I took of my daughter riding her bike. This was taken in "Auto" mode.

Take a sec and hit thanks if I helped or if you're in a good mood!
Thanks for sharing the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hctimin View Post
Personally the camera is the weakest part of an otherwise perfect phone.

I had an iPhone 5 before and felt that I was able to take better pictures all around with that phone.

That being said, this phone does take great pictures in well lit areas. Pictures and videos that I took while snowboarding look phenomenal [again, well lit areas].

However, I am one of THOSE people that share what I eat, and in turn take pictures of food [don't kill me] in low light areas. There are times when the camera works well, and others where I get flatter/grainier results.

I love the phone, and just wish that Samsung put in a larger sensor to capture more light. First world problems for me. Hoping that the camera gets beefed up in the Note 4,...which I will get without a second thought!
I did take a pic in a dark restaurant the other night and while the picture wasn't noisy or grainy, the lighting turned out really weird. I guess this camera isn't as dummy proof as say the camera in the iPhone, S3 or N2, but it certainly has potential to be really great. I've taken some amazingly clear pics with it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
The camera on the n3 is better when set up correctly...I still like the N2 camera tho for its ease of use.
Do you have recommendations for good universal settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkeepinup View Post
I have to say that I hate the camera on this phone. Not that you can't get great pics, but my kid is almost 2 and maybe 20% of the pics I get are good. Video just can't seem to stay focused on her when she's moving. The droid DNA camera handled kids much better. I don't fiddle with camera settings much although on this phone,I put it in sports mode to give myself at least a chance of catching the moments when they happen. I do notice that sports mode pics aren't as nice and vibrant.
Was contemplating getting a droid maxx cuz I was so annoyed at this camera and wanted the nifty voice activation features...

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

How do you have yours set up?

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
My 2 year old daughter is by far the most difficult subject for pictures. So far I've been pretty happy with the pics of her that I've captured, and they're certainly as good or better than what I was able to get with my N2 but there is definitely room for improvement, I'll let you know if I find good reliable settings for capturing good pics of an active toddler.
2.5 New Members: Treat new members the way you would have liked to have been treated when you were a new member.
Provide the new members with guidance, advice and instruction always with respect and courtesy.

Device: Galaxy Note 3
ROM: Incognito_v1.1.1
The Following User Says Thank You to mlin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bskarpa
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Best bet is just to mess around with it and take pics in different lighting like you have and change settings to see what works best. Glad ya like it so far though. I've had mine since release and still think it's an awesome phone.

Take a sec and hit thanks if I helped or if you're in a good mood!