No registration required

Reading OTG- USB

OP Devildoc99

22nd January 2014, 02:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dyersville, Iowa
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
I gotta say, I'm struggling mightily here.
I'm running stock on my Nexus 10, with 4.4.2, rooted with TWRP installed as recovery and with SU installed.
I'm trying hard to see if I can watch movies on USB using the OTG cable. All my movies are MKV's on my HD. I could convert to .mp4 if I have to.....but
I've played around mounting the stick with Stickmount as well as Nexus Media Importer. Both will mount the drives but I can't read anything on them.
I finally got it to where I could read files if they were on my Hp 16 Gb stick formatted Fat, not NTFS or ex-Fat. It will not read my Patriot 64's in any format.
I went to Stickmount Playstore page to d/l the 2 zip files that would enable NTFS support and moved them over to /SDcard. Didn't seem to make any difference.
It used to be I could play any video file of any format, of any size, on any sized stick. What happened? Do any of the other roms do any better at supporting this? Are there known limitations to KitKat? Are there work arounds/enhancements/fixes available? Should I run a different kernel?

Any help would be most appreciated.
22nd January 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Dyersville, Iowa

14 posts
OK. So here's where I'm at. I now come to see that the only drive that will work is a FAT32 format and that it has to be 16 gb or less in size. It doesn't matter what format the file is in. It won't read NTFS or exFAT.

Is that the experience of everyone else or what?

I've also found that I cannot format a larger drive (eg: 64 gb) in windows. It only allows exFAT on this size. I can, however, use something like EaseUS Partition Manager (free) and format the drive that way into FAT32 at least allowing a greater number of movies on 1 stick.

Next hurdle though, is how to get around the 4gb size issue.
22nd January 2014, 05:43 AM   |  #3  

5 posts
You can try using USB OTG HELPER without any limitations as to the type of stick or drive (FAT NTFS table format) you can use. The downside that I have noticed with all those programmes that enable OTG function via root methods is that they tamper system files which in turn cause future system file update errors. (I had to manually find and replace some files in order to make my 4.3 update from 4.2 happen)

Send from a GNEX YAKJU with stock ROM and custom recovery with root
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread