Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 45,523 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Goofy Network Mode Switching - CM10.2

Tip us?

robstahz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Goofy Network Mode Switching - CM10.2

Hey guys,

For the past month, I have been fighting reception issues at my house, which isn't in the best of locations for cell service. With 3G/LTE enabled, I would get 2-3 bars and then the signal would disappear and stay that way. I used to be able to move the phone an inch in one direction and the signal would change. Then, the phone started developing an issue where it would drop the signal and not even try and pick it back up again until I cycled the airplane mode. It got so bad that I would cycle it and 10+ messages and voicemails would come flooding in and then the connection would drop again.

Well, I've played with multiple roms and am now on CM10.2 for a overall stable platform. I've tried just about every APN setting there is out there, and just last night I stumbled on a little trick. Normally when changing network modes, the change doesn't stick, and I have heard of this being common. Well, somewhere on the net, a guy mentioned to go under "Settings > Wireless & Networks (more...) > Mobile Networks > Network Operators and select AT&T when it shows up, then try and change Network Mode. Well, that worked great and now I have a very reliable EDGE connection through-out my house (4-5 bars). Even the connect to 2G only toggle works as well. At this point, I definitely prefer leaving it like this, since I get a very reliable connection and it looks like possible better battery life as well.

My question is, why does it do this? Is there a bug in the switching part of the network mode selection? I'm definitely ignorant to how that side works and any information for the subject would be fantastic at this point. It would be nice to have EDGE be a priority at my house, but out and about where 3G/LTE is available for the phone to properly pick it up. Are there external apps that help control such switching? Thanks!

holeindalip
Old
Thanks Meter 74
What radio are you currently using?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

robstahz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeindalip View Post
What radio are you currently using?