Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

What up with carriers locking bootloaders?

OP whmgreen

22nd January 2014, 12:09 AM   |  #11  
Flag Dayton, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,848

7,575 posts
More
Another view:

I will stay with ATT as Verizon is too expensive and TMO in my area has sh**ty reception. ATT has been perfect for me in that area.

Also, I have been a heavy flasher for almost 4 years. The phones now are powerful enough that flashing roms is not that important to me as it once was. If I can get root with Xposed/Gravity Box/3Minit I am good. Plus there are fairly good backup apps now that Nandroiding isn't that critical.

I don't see much more coming my way, after this year, in improvements I am interested in. Something like a Note4 or S5 would be as far as I care to go.

All IMHO of course

22nd January 2014, 02:20 AM   |  #12  
I thought that I read somewhere on a T-Mobile thread that the latest update locked the bootloader on the S4. Was that incorrect?
22nd January 2014, 02:24 AM   |  #13  
Flag Lykens
Thanks Meter: 419

1,927 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~wolverine~

I thought that I read somewhere on a T-Mobile thread that the latest update locked the bootloader on the S4. Was that incorrect?

I'd go to the note 3 if I swapped to T-Mobile. I'm honestly tired of the s4 and the features don't wow me anymore plus the note 3 would be better in spec wise as well.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
22nd January 2014, 05:26 AM   |  #14  
Flag Dayton, Ohio

7,575 posts
More
Quote:

The i337 bl was always locked but the loki-doki exploit bypassed sig check and allowed us to flash recoveries and kernels. With mf3 they closed that loophole by "blowing the Q-Fuse", whatever that is. Googled it but forgot what I read.

And now you are limited to flashing mostly TW roms <4.4. No custom recoveries/kernels.
22nd January 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmankc

The i337 bl was always locked but the loki-doki exploit bypassed sig check and allowed us to flash recoveries and kernels. With mf3 they closed that loophole by "blowing the Q-Fuse", whatever that is. Googled it but forgot what I read.

And now you are limited to flashing mostly TW roms <4.4. No custom recoveries/kernels.

I'm not talking about a I337 from AT&T. I was talking about a T-Mobile M919 or do they use the exact same firmware?
Last edited by ~wolverine~; 22nd January 2014 at 05:55 AM.
22nd January 2014, 06:20 AM   |  #16  
Flag Dayton, Ohio

7,575 posts
More
Quote:

I'm not talking about a I337 from AT&T. I was talking about a T-Mobile M919 or do they use the exact same firmware?

lol ok, in that case i have no idea
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread