Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,192 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What up with carriers locking bootloaders?

Tip us?

rugmankc
Old
Thanks Meter 1,810
Another view:

I will stay with ATT as Verizon is too expensive and TMO in my area has sh**ty reception. ATT has been perfect for me in that area.

Also, I have been a heavy flasher for almost 4 years. The phones now are powerful enough that flashing roms is not that important to me as it once was. If I can get root with Xposed/Gravity Box/3Minit I am good. Plus there are fairly good backup apps now that Nandroiding isn't that critical.

I don't see much more coming my way, after this year, in improvements I am interested in. Something like a Note4 or S5 would be as far as I care to go.

All IMHO of course

ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer

~wolverine~
Old
Thanks Meter 133
I thought that I read somewhere on a T-Mobile thread that the latest update locked the bootloader on the S4. Was that incorrect?

toxicpaulution
Old
Thanks Meter 364

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~wolverine~ View Post
I thought that I read somewhere on a T-Mobile thread that the latest update locked the bootloader on the S4. Was that incorrect?
I'd go to the note 3 if I swapped to T-Mobile. I'm honestly tired of the s4 and the features don't wow me anymore plus the note 3 would be better in spec wise as well.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rugmankc
Old
Thanks Meter 1,810
Quote:
The i337 bl was always locked but the loki-doki exploit bypassed sig check and allowed us to flash recoveries and kernels. With mf3 they closed that loophole by "blowing the Q-Fuse", whatever that is. Googled it but forgot what I read.

And now you are limited to flashing mostly TW roms <4.4. No custom recoveries/kernels.
ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer

~wolverine~
Old
(Last edited by ~wolverine~; 22nd January 2014 at 04:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
The i337 bl was always locked but the loki-doki exploit bypassed sig check and allowed us to flash recoveries and kernels. With mf3 they closed that loophole by "blowing the Q-Fuse", whatever that is. Googled it but forgot what I read.

And now you are limited to flashing mostly TW roms <4.4. No custom recoveries/kernels.
I'm not talking about a I337 from AT&T. I was talking about a T-Mobile M919 or do they use the exact same firmware?

rugmankc
Old
Thanks Meter 1,810
Quote:
I'm not talking about a I337 from AT&T. I was talking about a T-Mobile M919 or do they use the exact same firmware?
lol ok, in that case i have no idea