[Q] Same app, different task, multitasking

22nd January 2014, 06:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 18

18 posts
Before anyone points out that there are existing threads about this (because I feel certain there are), I am not a noob, I've used XDA for years and this is one of my first posts because I normally find everything (and more) than what I need.
Half of this question is, how can I search this better because it's such an awkward thing to search.

How to with the same app, run two instances ("windows"), being able to switch through them via multitasking.

The Android system is easily capable of doing it (open the youtube app, play a video, then open the browser and click a youtube link and tell it to open via the youtube app, and voila; its running two instances of the same app even though it is unstable and kinda annoying sometimes) and I am very confident that there is no way to do this (other than the buggy way I just mentioned) with un-modified android.

But the XDA community is awesome and I have more confidence that others have had my problem since early android days, and have done something about it. However because I'm not aware of a real name for the process, I'm not really sure what to search. The only related article/thread I have been able to find is this. But it's extremely old and not helpful with no solution suggested.

Please share anything you know regarding this process and how to fix it or why it can or can't be done. HOWEVER please refrain from simply restating that an un-modified android platform can't do it (people kept doing that in the thread I mentioned above).

I'm hoping that there is already a thread about it that I just can't find, in which case please tell me and this post can be deleted.

In the extremely unlikely case that no one has created any sort of makeshift fix, hopefully someone will begin.

WHY this is important (for those that ask why this is worth trying to fix) ;
One instance of my problem (because there are many, and I'm sure others have similar problems); I have google drive open, I have an article I need to read uploaded by a fellow classmate and an article I need to write. Easy, on chrome I open one window with their doc. And another with mine. However on Android it's all one app meaning I am constantly having to read his doc. then back out of it, go back to my drive, go down my extremely long hierarchy of folders find my doc. load it, type something before I forget it, then back out of it, go back to the shared folder, good down its hierarchy of folders, find his doc. and wait for it to load, then try to find where I left off. Annoying, slow, inefficient.

Current- Nexus 5 Hammerhead with 4.4.2 Cataclysm and Elemental X kernel
Nexus 4- Android 4.2.2 MIUI 4.1.17 and Faux kernel
GS2 GT-i9100 dual boot- liquid smooth and AOKP and doriman X kernel
Acer iconia A500- 4.2.2 AOKP
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Questions and Answers by ThreadRank