Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,582 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just switched from Sprint to Verizon - Voicemail question

Tip us?

midmadn
Old
(Last edited by midmadn; 22nd January 2014 at 03:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 103
Default Just switched from Sprint to Verizon - Voicemail question

My friend just switched from Sprint to Verizon. On Sprint we have our own voicemail app and the voicemails download right to the phone at no extra cost. Do you really have to pay $4 a month on Verizon for this capability or is there a way to activate on device voicemail without paying the extra fee?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Jack

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

shiftr182
Old
Thanks Meter 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmadn View Post
On Sprint we had our own voicemail app and the voicemails downloaded right to the phone at no extra cost. Do we really have to pay $4 a month on Verizon or is there a way to activate on device voicemail without paying the extra fee?

Jack

I also came from sprint... I didn't use their VM though... I use google voice, always have. Its great.

chetta
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftr182 View Post
I also came from sprint... I didn't use their VM though... I use google voice, always have. Its great.
Agreed!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

leyvatron
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Welcome, you now have service.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Follow me and my Android videos on YouTube if you want. Remember to click Thanks and Subscribe.
Join my Facebook group - Everybody is welcome

Google+ Add me

TechSavvy2
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmadn View Post
On Sprint we had our own voicemail app and the voicemails downloaded right to the phone at no extra cost. Do we really have to pay $4 a month on Verizon or is there a way to activate on device voicemail without paying the extra fee?

Jack

You have to pay $4/month for VISUAL voicemail, yes But like others states, use google voice if you're not comfortable with that. Exact same features, cross compatibility. Just make sure to follow the call-forwarding instructions for google voice..... I don't know how many people can't figure out how to get it to work because they think installing the app and following the instructions makes it work...

danthepunman
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I agree with using google voice. The translations are quite comical. They are no way perfect but you get the idea of what was said. You can listen from any computer and if you add the extension on chrome you get notifications on the browser.

In regards to prev. post, ignore the warning about the carrier in the setup dialog. It just means that you have to dial the *7... that google gives you when you setup the voicemail account.

One warning you do have to have data/internet connection to get voicemail since it retrieves it over voip and not 1g voice/calling. Which isn't a big deal unless you are deep in the woods or roaming on unfriendly territory like Thumb Cellular in Michigan.