5,594,700 Members 33,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CWM Recovery restoring nandroid backup and USB mounting in recovery

Tip us?

oldsoldier2003
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
oh and I never bother trying to save uncompressed backups to drop box they take forever. I usually just adb pull them to my desktop then stash an archival copy on dvd . zipping and uploading to drive/box/dropbox are also good options but as you said they take a very long time. It is just easier for me to maintain multiple copies on different computers and media in the house...

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRuckingFetard View Post
If i selected /data/media as the backup directory, would that make the backup visible within recovery now wouldn't it? Tried using Obackup and backed up to /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod but recovery didn't see any backups on the device..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
I think that cwm looks for the backup in a oddball location. Cant remember exactly where off the top of my head. Its late and I'm tired. Nandroid manager should be able to find it though.

DrRuckingFetard
Old
(Last edited by DrRuckingFetard; 22nd January 2014 at 08:01 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier2003 View Post
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3t1c.onnandbup
For CWM I am not sure of the option but it would be custom if you only want certain partitions.
regardless as long as you know where it is you can restore it. If you use nandroid manager it will scan and find your backup paths for you and restore them, or again you can just point your recovery to them.
There's no option within CWM to select which partitions to backup, or to select backup/restore locations, but it has the advanced options to restore selected partitions, which doesn't really help for now..

I'm more concerned if I get into a bootloop, and my recovery can't find my nandroid backups to restore to..
Nexus 7 2013 (Flo)- PAC ROM 4.4.2!
HTC One X (endeavoru)- CM 11 (also eagerly waiting PAC 4.4)
Sony Tablet S (retired, being used as media server)- stock 4.1.2

oldsoldier2003
Old
(Last edited by oldsoldier2003; 22nd January 2014 at 08:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Yeah I understand your concern. If I am not mistaken the reason you cant see the backup is because it is in protected storage. I think cwm does this by design now... Have you tired booting into recovery and looking for it in cwm?Once you figure out where cwm saves it you can tell online nandroid to save it there, or you could just boot to recovery and do your nandroid directly from cwm. Personally I prefer to do it "online" so I don't have to reboot...

I really cant be of much more assistance directly becuase I don't have CWM on the device right now, but It looks to me like you pretty much have it licked. I'll check back after I get some sleep and If you are still having issues I'll flash cwm and see if I can be of any further assistance.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldsoldier2003 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DrRuckingFetard
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier2003 View Post
Yeah I understand your concern. If I am not mistaken the reason you cant see the backup is because it is in protected storage. I think cwm does this by design now... Have you tired booting into recovery and looking for it in cwm?Once you figure out where cwm saves it you can tell online nandroid to save it there, or you could just boot to recovery and do your nandroid directly from cwm. Personally I prefer to do it "online" so I don't have to reboot...

I really cant be of much more assistance directly becuase I don't have CWM on the device right now, but It looks to me like you pretty much have it licked. I'll check back after I get some sleep and If you are still having issues I'll flash cwm and see if I can be of any further assistance.
Okay so I just did a custom nandroid within the app you linked me to, and set it to save in /data/media and booted into recovery, and CWM now sees the backup
That's pretty much my problems solved now, seems i'll have to use adb as you mentioned to pull the backup from my device to store on my laptop/portable HDD, and then push it back if needed, thanks very much for your help!
Nexus 7 2013 (Flo)- PAC ROM 4.4.2!
HTC One X (endeavoru)- CM 11 (also eagerly waiting PAC 4.4)
Sony Tablet S (retired, being used as media server)- stock 4.1.2

The Following User Says Thank You to DrRuckingFetard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oldsoldier2003
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
You're very welcome. I'm glad you have it all sorted out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
My Devices:
Samsung SCH-R680 (CWM/Stock - /Rooted) Retired
Samsung SCH-R830 (CWM/Stock - /Rooted)
Moto G (Stock/Stock - /Rooted)
Moto G (CWM/Stock - /Rooted)
Nexus 7 2013 (Philztouch/Flo++/Rooted)