Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Strange Problem - Can't Send SMS

OP TenderloinShadow

22nd January 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77

311 posts
Ok, first of all I'm an old veteran at flashing ROMs. Secondly, I know about the SIM card reset, where I restore my phone to factory settings and enter a number in the dialpad (can't remember it, have it written down) to reset your network connection. The thing is, I have a few hours left at work before I'll have time to attempt that, so I wanna explain this issue to the community and see if there's an easier option.

So, to start, I have been running the 01/02 build of Bean Stalk 4.4.2 for a few weeks now with no issue. I'm also on the latest modem, VRUCML1, which I again have been running for a while with no issue.

Today I decided to try out some newer builds, so I made a nandroid and then flashed the new Carbon 4.4 build (01/19). This was when I had my first network issue, where it had me stuck in roaming even though I was in my home. So, thinking the ROM may still have some issues, I switched to a newer build of Bean Stalk (01/17). While I now had mobile data back, I found that my phone was unable to send SMS.

I finally restored my nandroid, yet now I find that this problem is still persisting. I flashed the previous modem, VRBMF1, and the problem still persists.

The weirdest thing, though, is that even though it won't send SMS, my mobile data works fine. I'm able to browse the web at full LTE speeds, but not send SMS.

Edit: After a recent test, it seems phone calls won't work either. So my phone seems to be handling the LTE functions well enough, but is having trouble with the CDMA/EVDO part of the antenna.

Anyone who has any advice, please help. Like I said, I'm inclined to do a SIM reset, but won't be able to until much later tonight.
22nd January 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,629

5,448 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderloinShadow

Ok, first of all I'm an old veteran at flashing ROMs. Secondly, I know about the SIM card reset, where I restore my phone to factory settings and enter a number in the dialpad (can't remember it, have it written down) to reset your network connection. The thing is, I have a few hours left at work before I'll have time to attempt that, so I wanna explain this issue to the community and see if there's an easier option.

So, to start, I have been running the 01/02 build of Bean Stalk 4.4.2 for a few weeks now with no issue. I'm also on the latest modem, VRUCML1, which I again have been running for a while with no issue.

Today I decided to try out some newer builds, so I made a nandroid and then flashed the new Carbon 4.4 build (01/19). This was when I had my first network issue, where it had me stuck in roaming even though I was in my home. So, thinking the ROM may still have some issues, I switched to a newer build of Bean Stalk (01/17). While I now had mobile data back, I found that my phone was unable to send SMS.

I finally restored my nandroid, yet now I find that this problem is still persisting. I flashed the previous modem, VRBMF1, and the problem still persists.

The weirdest thing, though, is that even though it won't send SMS, my mobile data works fine. I'm able to browse the web at full LTE speeds, but not send SMS.

Edit: After a recent test, it seems phone calls won't work either. So my phone seems to be handling the LTE functions well enough, but is having trouble with the CDMA/EVDO part of the antenna.

Anyone who has any advice, please help. Like I said, I'm inclined to do a SIM reset, but won't be able to until much later tonight.

Go into About Phone -> status check your IMEI and PRL and such are they still there?
22nd January 2014, 01:56 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

311 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

Go into About Phone -> status check your IMEI and PRL and such are they still there?

My IMEI is there, it was the first thing I checked. I did the whole IMEI backup thing way back in the beginning with this phone.

IMEI wouldn't explain the problem anyway. I still have 2-3 bars of LTE at all times, which I wouldn't have if I didn't have my IMEI. For whatever reason regular phone communications (SMS/Calls) won't go through. Since I know that Verizon still routes those communications through the older CDMA/EVDO network, I'm assuming that's the source of my problem.
22nd January 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,629

5,448 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderloinShadow

My IMEI is there, it was the first thing I checked. I did the whole IMEI backup thing way back in the beginning with this phone.

IMEI wouldn't explain the problem anyway. I still have 2-3 bars of LTE at all times, which I wouldn't have if I didn't have my IMEI. For whatever reason regular phone communications (SMS/Calls) won't go through. Since I know that Verizon still routes those communications through the older CDMA/EVDO network, I'm assuming that's the source of my problem.

Sure just make sure things don't get corrupted, if everything is still in order then you can reset sim, worse case call VZ and they can reset (re-provision) the sim for you. Happened to me twice and VZ solved them in both cases.
22nd January 2014, 02:00 AM   |  #5  
Flag 209
Thanks Meter: 283

2,368 posts
More
The problem i had i couldn't recieved calls. Everything worked fine..
I ended up getting new sim card then the employee dialed *73 then my fone was back in action
22nd January 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

311 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr

Sure just make sure things don't get corrupted, if everything is still in order then you can reset sim, worse case call VZ and they can reset (re-provision) the sim for you. Happened to me twice and VZ solved them in both cases.

yeah I figured that would have to be the answer from the beginning. Have to Odin back to stock first, won't be able to do that for probably another 3-4 hours because of a work meeting that's about to start, so I figured I'd ask around.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to them. Otherwise I'll reprovision tonight and report back.
22nd January 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 176

836 posts
More
The data/sms issue isn't odd... sms and calls are on the 1x protocol, data is on the LTE/CDMA/EvDO, so if you can't send sms, you can still use data.

Have you tried flashing one of the stock-based roms and seeing if the issue remains? I've encountered that before where stock is fine, but CM/AOSP roms have a wonky issue and *some* people report after doing so, they can get data/calls working on the custom roms. Unfortunately, my resolution there was to cab (LG device) back to factory image.
22nd January 2014, 06:40 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 806

1,594 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepea206

The data/sms issue isn't odd... sms and calls are on the 1x protocol, data is on the LTE/CDMA/EvDO, so if you can't send sms, you can still use data.

Have you tried flashing one of the stock-based roms and seeing if the issue remains? I've encountered that before where stock is fine, but CM/AOSP roms have a wonky issue and *some* people report after doing so, they can get data/calls working on the custom roms. Unfortunately, my resolution there was to cab (LG device) back to factory image.

+1

Flash back to stock, or a stock based rom with stock messaging. Try to force the message through. My messages stopped sending on aosp messaging and was persistent through rom flashes. I eventually forced it through using touchwiz messaging.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread