Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,688 Members 39,796 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Strange Problem - Can't Send SMS

Tip us?
 
TenderloinShadow
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 250
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default Strange Problem - Can't Send SMS

Ok, first of all I'm an old veteran at flashing ROMs. Secondly, I know about the SIM card reset, where I restore my phone to factory settings and enter a number in the dialpad (can't remember it, have it written down) to reset your network connection. The thing is, I have a few hours left at work before I'll have time to attempt that, so I wanna explain this issue to the community and see if there's an easier option.

So, to start, I have been running the 01/02 build of Bean Stalk 4.4.2 for a few weeks now with no issue. I'm also on the latest modem, VRUCML1, which I again have been running for a while with no issue.

Today I decided to try out some newer builds, so I made a nandroid and then flashed the new Carbon 4.4 build (01/19). This was when I had my first network issue, where it had me stuck in roaming even though I was in my home. So, thinking the ROM may still have some issues, I switched to a newer build of Bean Stalk (01/17). While I now had mobile data back, I found that my phone was unable to send SMS.

I finally restored my nandroid, yet now I find that this problem is still persisting. I flashed the previous modem, VRBMF1, and the problem still persists.

The weirdest thing, though, is that even though it won't send SMS, my mobile data works fine. I'm able to browse the web at full LTE speeds, but not send SMS.

Edit: After a recent test, it seems phone calls won't work either. So my phone seems to be handling the LTE functions well enough, but is having trouble with the CDMA/EVDO part of the antenna.

Anyone who has any advice, please help. Like I said, I'm inclined to do a SIM reset, but won't be able to until much later tonight.
 
buhohitr
Old
#2  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,506
Posts: 5,154
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderloinShadow View Post
Ok, first of all I'm an old veteran at flashing ROMs. Secondly, I know about the SIM card reset, where I restore my phone to factory settings and enter a number in the dialpad (can't remember it, have it written down) to reset your network connection. The thing is, I have a few hours left at work before I'll have time to attempt that, so I wanna explain this issue to the community and see if there's an easier option.

So, to start, I have been running the 01/02 build of Bean Stalk 4.4.2 for a few weeks now with no issue. I'm also on the latest modem, VRUCML1, which I again have been running for a while with no issue.

Today I decided to try out some newer builds, so I made a nandroid and then flashed the new Carbon 4.4 build (01/19). This was when I had my first network issue, where it had me stuck in roaming even though I was in my home. So, thinking the ROM may still have some issues, I switched to a newer build of Bean Stalk (01/17). While I now had mobile data back, I found that my phone was unable to send SMS.

I finally restored my nandroid, yet now I find that this problem is still persisting. I flashed the previous modem, VRBMF1, and the problem still persists.

The weirdest thing, though, is that even though it won't send SMS, my mobile data works fine. I'm able to browse the web at full LTE speeds, but not send SMS.

Edit: After a recent test, it seems phone calls won't work either. So my phone seems to be handling the LTE functions well enough, but is having trouble with the CDMA/EVDO part of the antenna.

Anyone who has any advice, please help. Like I said, I'm inclined to do a SIM reset, but won't be able to until much later tonight.
Go into About Phone -> status check your IMEI and PRL and such are they still there?
 
TenderloinShadow
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 250
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
Go into About Phone -> status check your IMEI and PRL and such are they still there?
My IMEI is there, it was the first thing I checked. I did the whole IMEI backup thing way back in the beginning with this phone.

IMEI wouldn't explain the problem anyway. I still have 2-3 bars of LTE at all times, which I wouldn't have if I didn't have my IMEI. For whatever reason regular phone communications (SMS/Calls) won't go through. Since I know that Verizon still routes those communications through the older CDMA/EVDO network, I'm assuming that's the source of my problem.
 
buhohitr
Old
#4  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,506
Posts: 5,154
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderloinShadow View Post
My IMEI is there, it was the first thing I checked. I did the whole IMEI backup thing way back in the beginning with this phone.

IMEI wouldn't explain the problem anyway. I still have 2-3 bars of LTE at all times, which I wouldn't have if I didn't have my IMEI. For whatever reason regular phone communications (SMS/Calls) won't go through. Since I know that Verizon still routes those communications through the older CDMA/EVDO network, I'm assuming that's the source of my problem.
Sure just make sure things don't get corrupted, if everything is still in order then you can reset sim, worse case call VZ and they can reset (re-provision) the sim for you. Happened to me twice and VZ solved them in both cases.
 
twistedillutions
Old
#5  
twistedillutions's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 226
Posts: 1,991
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 209
The problem i had i couldn't recieved calls. Everything worked fine..
I ended up getting new sim card then the employee dialed *73 then my fone was back in action
AWESOME POSSOM
 
TenderloinShadow
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 250
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhohitr View Post
Sure just make sure things don't get corrupted, if everything is still in order then you can reset sim, worse case call VZ and they can reset (re-provision) the sim for you. Happened to me twice and VZ solved them in both cases.
yeah I figured that would have to be the answer from the beginning. Have to Odin back to stock first, won't be able to do that for probably another 3-4 hours because of a work meeting that's about to start, so I figured I'd ask around.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to them. Otherwise I'll reprovision tonight and report back.
 
beepea206
Old
#7  
beepea206's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 174
Posts: 829
Join Date: Mar 2011
The data/sms issue isn't odd... sms and calls are on the 1x protocol, data is on the LTE/CDMA/EvDO, so if you can't send sms, you can still use data.

Have you tried flashing one of the stock-based roms and seeing if the issue remains? I've encountered that before where stock is fine, but CM/AOSP roms have a wonky issue and *some* people report after doing so, they can get data/calls working on the custom roms. Unfortunately, my resolution there was to cab (LG device) back to factory image.
 
BadUsername
Old
#8  
BadUsername's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 741
Posts: 1,491
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepea206 View Post
The data/sms issue isn't odd... sms and calls are on the 1x protocol, data is on the LTE/CDMA/EvDO, so if you can't send sms, you can still use data.

Have you tried flashing one of the stock-based roms and seeing if the issue remains? I've encountered that before where stock is fine, but CM/AOSP roms have a wonky issue and *some* people report after doing so, they can get data/calls working on the custom roms. Unfortunately, my resolution there was to cab (LG device) back to factory image.
+1

Flash back to stock, or a stock based rom with stock messaging. Try to force the message through. My messages stopped sending on aosp messaging and was persistent through rom flashes. I eventually forced it through using touchwiz messaging.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes