Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,703 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 3 + Note 10.1 (2014) or S4 + Note 8.0

Tip us?

jcg11
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Note 3 + Note 10.1 (2014) or S4 + Note 8.0

I had posted this in the wrong forum so I moved it here.

Not sure what I want to do here. I currently have a Galaxy S3 and a Tab 7.7. I am somewhat happy with the setup, but I have an upgrade coming and know I want to have a member of the Note family. I run my own HVAC company and I am out on the jobsite doing a lot of estimates during the week. I have been wanting to streamline more of my jobsite notes from a tablet to my laptop/desktop. I was hoping for Tab 7.7 to help with a lot of that but it has fallen short of being easy enough to use. I find myself still taking notes on paper and converting to my computer once I get home. The Tab has been regulated to more of toy (which has been great) instead of a useful tool.

I really like the form factor of the 7.7 though. I use it for a Kindle app to do reading, although only at night. I have an older Kindle Touch which is great during the day but at night or in low light I find myself reach for my 7.7 more. I am thinking about getting the new Kindle Paperwhite depending on what I upgrade to.

I really like the form factor of the Note 8.0, but compared to the 2014 10.1 it is seriously lacking specs. The positive on this, is I could probably pick one up for half the cost of the 10.1. Plus I feel that if I get the Note 3 there isn't going to be much of a difference between both devices. I am also a bit apprehensive about having such a large phone.

I know I am all over the board here, but let me know what you think.

Thanks.

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,409

DONATE TO ME
If money isn't an object, the 10.1 2014 edition and the Note 3. - Both are poweful beasts with great battery life.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

pete4k
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Size of Note 3 is relative, it seems big at first, but now after couple months my old GS3 seems small, but not that much of a difference after all. taking notes with s-pen is much easier than I expected and personally I use it more than I thought I will. So I would go with Note3, but this is Note 3 forum, most people here already made the decision, so it may be one sided view after all. Personally I have no regrets whatsoever and probably won't even look at another phone until Note 4 comes out and even then it would have to really bring something really new to the table. As far as tablets go, 8" is already too big to carry around at all times IMO, but just for home use bigger screen would be better.

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg11 View Post
I really like the form factor of the Note 8.0, but compared to the 2014 10.1 it is seriously lacking specs. The positive on this, is I could probably pick one up for half the cost of the 10.1. Plus I feel that if I get the Note 3 there isn't going to be much of a difference between both devices. I am also a bit apprehensive about having such a large phone.

I know I am all over the board here, but let me know what you think.

Thanks.

I think there is a new Note coming very soon in the 8''-8.8'' range. That being said if you can handle the Note 3 as a phone (which is mostly a matter of having big hands/fingers and large pockets) you might be more tempted by the 10'' or even the new 12'' Note Pro for the extra space.

I have also heard of people using a Note 8 as a phone - together with the very impressive special Bluetooth SPen (which not only acts as a BT headset but also is MUCH easier to hold for notes/drawings).
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7

jcg11
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k View Post
Size of Note 3 is relative, it seems big at first, but now after couple months my old GS3 seems small, but not that much of a difference after all. taking notes with s-pen is much easier than I expected and personally I use it more than I thought I will. So I would go with Note3, but this is Note 3 forum, most people here already made the decision, so it may be one sided view after all. Personally I have no regrets whatsoever and probably won't even look at another phone until Note 4 comes out and even then it would have to really bring something really new to the table. As far as tablets go, 8" is already too big to carry around at all times IMO, but just for home use bigger screen would be better.
Thank you to everyone for the replies.

As for me posting this in the Note 3 forum. I understand that it will have a slight biased. I am leaning more towards the Note 3 anyways. I have seen and held one a few times, and while it feels huge I am sure I will get used to it. I used to think my S3 was big.

I was more concerned with figuring out which tablet to pair it with. I know some people say that the Note 3 eliminates the need for tablet but I still feel the need for one. I like having one to mess around with at home and to watch media on. I also use it on the jobsite to show off equipment and pictures of completed jobs. It is easier to show that off on a tablet instead of a large phone. I have just always been turned off by the larger tablets. They always seemed to bulky and heavy and I never liked laying in bed with one.

EpicDom
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I have the Galaxy Note 3 paired with the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and I really enjoy it. However, I wonder if the S Pen function may be a little redundant on the Galaxy Note 3 if you have both note devices. I do still jot down things quickly on my phone but I use my tablet more heavily. I personally feel like the 8.0 would be too similar to the size of my phone but I guess it's personal preference. I got the 10.1 edition because I want it to be able to replace my laptop when I'm away from home, carrying my laptop is far, far too bulky. Especially since the fan in my laptop has gone so I'd have to carry my cooler too just to stop my laptop from overheating and turning off. With my tablet I also have a bluetooth keyboard and I just find I can position myself more comfortably when typing. As the others have said, the next gen of the 8.0 line up will most likely be coming out soonish so hopefully you will get the nice HD resolution too. You may also want to consider the S5 that's coming out this year. Perfectly up to you, but I feel my combination works well for me

fyew-jit-tiv
Old
Thanks Meter 38
No brainer...N3 & 10.1.14 all the way. Perfect couple, like Romeo & Juliet or Bony & Clyde

Memories4Life.co.uk