Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more
Post Reply

[Q] Battery drain and high Android OS usage?

OP MrPlinkett

21st January 2014, 11:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Last week I got a Droid Ultra and am noticing my battery life is pretty bad. I'd heard the Ultras don't get great battery life to begin with but I think something else is going on with my setup. My Android OS usage is always by far the highest, dwarfing the screen percentage. This is my first smartphone so bear with me if this is normal or I'm doing something dumb. My usage seems to be pretty normal by these board's standards, 30min talk, 20-40 texts, wifi on, and couple hours of gaming. (slow week at work!) I have installed Watchdog and it is running on moderate, although I must admit I don't really know how to use it to its full capabilities. I have attached some screenshots below, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1.png
Views:	309
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2531154   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1(1).png
Views:	349
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	2531155   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1(2).png
Views:	216
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	2531156   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1(3).png
Views:	228
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	2531157  
22nd January 2014, 01:00 AM   |  #2  
Member
Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 10
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
I have a Mini with the same issue. Still haven't figured out what it is, even tried a factory reset. So you're not the only one.
22nd January 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #3  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 175
 
529 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlangen

I have a Mini with the same issue. Still haven't figured out what it is, even tried a factory reset. So you're not the only one.







Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett

Last week I got a Droid Ultra and am noticing my battery life is pretty bad. I'd heard the Ultras don't get great battery life to begin with but I think something else is going on with my setup. My Android OS usage is always by far the highest, dwarfing the screen percentage. This is my first smartphone so bear with me if this is normal or I'm doing something dumb. My usage seems to be pretty normal by these board's standards, 30min talk, 20-40 texts, wifi on, and couple hours of gaming. (slow week at work!) I have installed Watchdog and it is running on moderate, although I must admit I don't really know how to use it to its full capabilities. I have attached some screenshots below, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you guys try disabling the bloatware and turn of Google location?if you're still on 4.2 you can use gsam battery monitor from play store. It gives detailed info on wakelocks and and what's keeping your CPU active.

Sent from my KitKat Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to Caseyk621 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd January 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621

Did you guys try disabling the bloatware and turn of Google location?if you're still on 4.2 you can use gsam battery monitor from play store. It gives detailed info on wakelocks and and what's keeping your CPU active.

Sent from my KitKat Ultra

I have tried to get rid of the bloatware but they don't seem to be removable. I can stop them but they just restart later. I have just turned off locations so we will see if that helps. Will the program you mentioned work with Kit Kat? I am using DU Battery Saver at the moment. Thanks for the advice.
22nd January 2014, 02:20 AM   |  #5  
Caseyk621's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 175
 
529 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett

I have tried to get rid of the bloatware but they don't seem to be removable. I can stop them but they just restart later. I have just turned off locations so we will see if that helps. Will the program you mentioned work with Kit Kat? I am using DU Battery Saver at the moment. Thanks for the advice.

Gsam Won't work on 4.4 unless you're rooted. So you can disable the bloatware easily. Go to app drawer long press on app you want to disable as if you were going to add it to the home screen. Drag it up and drop it on app info. You can disable it there. Some apostle it will ask if you want to revert back to stock. Select ok. Best part is you can't break anything this way! If you want to enable the apps go to settings....apps...and slide all the way over for list of disabled!

Sent from my KitKat Ultra
22nd January 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #6  
Member
Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 10
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Bloatware has been gone for a while. I tried disabling location last night, but still have the same high OS usage today. Just installed GSam- on 4.4 but rooted- I'll post if it comes up with anything helpful.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes