Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,893 Members 42,718 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Battery drain and high Android OS usage?

Tip us?

MrPlinkett
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Battery drain and high Android OS usage?

Last week I got a Droid Ultra and am noticing my battery life is pretty bad. I'd heard the Ultras don't get great battery life to begin with but I think something else is going on with my setup. My Android OS usage is always by far the highest, dwarfing the screen percentage. This is my first smartphone so bear with me if this is normal or I'm doing something dumb. My usage seems to be pretty normal by these board's standards, 30min talk, 20-40 texts, wifi on, and couple hours of gaming. (slow week at work!) I have installed Watchdog and it is running on moderate, although I must admit I don't really know how to use it to its full capabilities. I have attached some screenshots below, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1.png
Views:	307
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2531154   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1(1).png
Views:	346
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	2531155   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1(2).png
Views:	214
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	2531156   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 - 1(3).png
Views:	227
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	2531157  

jjlangen
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I have a Mini with the same issue. Still haven't figured out what it is, even tried a factory reset. So you're not the only one.

Caseyk621
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlangen View Post
I have a Mini with the same issue. Still haven't figured out what it is, even tried a factory reset. So you're not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Last week I got a Droid Ultra and am noticing my battery life is pretty bad. I'd heard the Ultras don't get great battery life to begin with but I think something else is going on with my setup. My Android OS usage is always by far the highest, dwarfing the screen percentage. This is my first smartphone so bear with me if this is normal or I'm doing something dumb. My usage seems to be pretty normal by these board's standards, 30min talk, 20-40 texts, wifi on, and couple hours of gaming. (slow week at work!) I have installed Watchdog and it is running on moderate, although I must admit I don't really know how to use it to its full capabilities. I have attached some screenshots below, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you guys try disabling the bloatware and turn of Google location?if you're still on 4.2 you can use gsam battery monitor from play store. It gives detailed info on wakelocks and and what's keeping your CPU active.

Sent from my KitKat Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to Caseyk621 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrPlinkett
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyk621 View Post
Did you guys try disabling the bloatware and turn of Google location?if you're still on 4.2 you can use gsam battery monitor from play store. It gives detailed info on wakelocks and and what's keeping your CPU active.

I have tried to get rid of the bloatware but they don't seem to be removable. I can stop them but they just restart later. I have just turned off locations so we will see if that helps. Will the program you mentioned work with Kit Kat? I am using DU Battery Saver at the moment. Thanks for the advice.

Caseyk621
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
I have tried to get rid of the bloatware but they don't seem to be removable. I can stop them but they just restart later. I have just turned off locations so we will see if that helps. Will the program you mentioned work with Kit Kat? I am using DU Battery Saver at the moment. Thanks for the advice.
Gsam Won't work on 4.4 unless you're rooted. So you can disable the bloatware easily. Go to app drawer long press on app you want to disable as if you were going to add it to the home screen. Drag it up and drop it on app info. You can disable it there. Some apostle it will ask if you want to revert back to stock. Select ok. Best part is you can't break anything this way! If you want to enable the apps go to settings....apps...and slide all the way over for list of disabled!

jjlangen
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Bloatware has been gone for a while. I tried disabling location last night, but still have the same high OS usage today. Just installed GSam- on 4.4 but rooted- I'll post if it comes up with anything helpful.