Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,557 Members 52,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do you REALLY need a tablet?.. why I sold my Nexus 7 (2013, 2nd gen, Wifi version)

Tip us?

jacker_newton
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Do you REALLY need a tablet?.. why I sold my Nexus 7 (2013, 2nd gen, Wifi version)

There was some weird voice in my head when I saw the new Nexus 7 (2nd gen) coming out: "buy it, you need it, you want it, you deserve a new toy". I have a few friends that were really happy with the 1st gen Nexus 7, so I was tempted to buy the 1st Nexus7, but didn't.

I should have really thought it through before buying the 2nd gen Nexus7. After having it for 4 months I concluded that the only reason to have it is if you like games.

Downsides and reasons I decided to sell:
- portability. Even thou its portable enough, i found that my old HTC Desire Z has the same functionality and use as the Nexus7 for daily tasks, plus also offers the portability of fitting into a pocket without tearing it.
- no vibro. I am used to have tactile feedback when writing messages, getting alerts and such
- no 3G/4G LTE The whole thing about the tablet is using it to consume stuff online and the 3g version costs 50-100 pounds extra. That's unfair
- influences to play games. Having something as powerful as it and not playing games seems like a waste of money and the crisp clear screen

Why would I want something as powerful as the Nexus 7 just to check my email, read news, e-books and the like? I can read mail and news on my phone and read books on my Kindle.

Don't get me wrong, the Nexus worked really smoothly and with just an occasional hiccup. But before getting it I would look at girls in public transport awkwardly and sometimes even get enough balls to actually say "hi" to them instead of turning my eyes red in that 7 inch, 50Hz shining light-bulb that seems to exploit my brains psychological fallacy to stay "on top" of (not important) news, games and apps.

I decided to get a Asus EEE for work and learning, Linux my Kindle and read PDF's on it (the battery holds in the count of weeks not days) and use my phone for android and stuff on the go.

Pennycake
Old
Thanks Meter 160
After I built a desktop just for gaming I replaced my laptop with an ASUS Transformer - it's lighter, the battery lasts longer and I like it a lot better than a netbook. I still use my e-ink Kindle because I much prefer reading books on e-ink. My phone is pocket sized but isn't the best when I'd rather have a keyboard to type with.

For me, this is what works. It's all about arranging the tools in your life to work best for YOU.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Sent from my HAF 912 i5-3450 HD 6870 using Google Chrome

JJKPL
Old
Thanks Meter 3
There is nothing better than hardware keyboard and mouse in notebook or PC. In most cases tablets are running Android, so they can't run programs like PowerPoint or Excel.
Devices:
Nokia 3510
LG C3300
Sony Ericsson K750i (with W800i software)
Samsung Omnia i900 (ock Eclipse ROM)
HTC Desire Z (AOSB KitKat 1.2.8)

Please hit "Thanks!" button if my hints were helpful.

I am from Poland, so my English is not perfect.

gc84245
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I use it mostly for watching videos... Works great for that purpose. Still prefer reading on my kindle though. Also browsing the web is a little easier on the larger screen.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

killall
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
- no 3G/4G LTE The whole thing about the tablet is using it to consume stuff online and the 3g version costs 50-100 pounds extra. That's unfair
What about tethering then?
i9505 - Stock 4.4.2 / N7 FLO - CleanRom 2.6 / Chromecast - Eureka 2.0
Quote:
A hacker to me is someone creative who does wonderful things.......Tim Berners-Lee

pupo1988
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I wanted to buy tablet for myself for few times, but i dont see point now with my phone. Almost all that i can on tablet, i also can on my phone. And for some serious work i need keyboard and thats that. My wet dream is ultrabook but i cant justify cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennycake View Post
After I built a desktop just for gaming I replaced my laptop with an ASUS Transformer - it's lighter, the battery lasts longer and I like it a lot better than a netbook. I still use my e-ink Kindle because I much prefer reading books on e-ink. My phone is pocket sized but isn't the best when I'd rather have a keyboard to type with.

For me, this is what works. It's all about arranging the tools in your life to work best for YOU.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Transformer is only called tablet, but it is much more

Lamalord2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
A tablet has no advantages.

orangekid
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3021
1) The main thing I use my Galaxy Tab 3 for is reading e-books.

It's pretty cool having a portable library where you can change the text size and color (red is easier on my eyes).

I really like to read, both fiction and non-fiction, and a phone is too small for that, even my Nexus 5, it's just too small. 7" is perfect for reading, as is 10"

2) Also, I have taken some vacations this year, and took a bunch of pictures that my family wants to see. Very easy to just bring a tablet if a family member is in the hospital (I have such a person) or if I go somewhere else, and I can show them come pics and videos right on the 10" tablet.

3) Work. Some of us work in fields where we would like to show pictures of things we sell or explain things to customers, and this comes in handy as a tool.

4) Games. I play chess and checkers on the 10" tablet sometimes and it's pretty fun. Some games really shine on a bigger screen.

Now what I find ridiculous, and I have seen this recently at a concert and at the zoo, is people taking pictures with their tablets, namely iPads. It's pretty crazy that you brought a tablet to that venue, and you're using it as a camera?

Really don't get that.

ZZDoug
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamalord2 View Post
A tablet has no advantages.
SIZE. Bigger than a phone, smaller than a laptop.
Samsung Galaxy S4 stock

Samsung Galaxy S2
GB DXKL3 stock
N.E.A.K kernel