Help with root etc... need some expert advise

Search This thread

enzosly

Jan 4, 2013
OK so I have this great ATT note 3. I have it rooted (mj5). I haven't done much with it because as far as I know I can't get a custom recovery yet Correct??

I am having issues with a few things and I'm a little concerned with the phone. For 1 I have a hard time starting up my phone some times. It seems to keep restarting and I have to keep taking the battery out and it will work after a few times. 2nd the volume sometimes gets messed up with things I do.

I've been rooting for maybe close to 1 year now and by no means a expert here but I've never failed doing it.

So here is my question, I would like to know if there is anything I can do now to get a custom recovery now that some time has gone by. I see a lot of things going on but it's all things I've never seen or read about before. I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction from the point I'm at right blessed which is rooted with Mj5.

Or do I unroot and if so how?

also any of these options am I going to lose everything on my phone? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium HD app

enzosly

Jan 4, 2013
Look at the safestrap thread. It is our version of recovery for locked bootloaders

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Would you be able to send me a link to the one your using? I just want to make sure I'm looking on the right thread.

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
Would you be able to send me a link to the one your using? I just want to make sure I'm looking on the right thread.

At the top of this page if you just click where it says AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 you will see all our sections. Click on the Android Development link then search around there for safestrap by hashcode.

Reactions: enzosly

gango123

Dec 28, 2013
OK so I have this great ATT note 3. I have it rooted (mj5). I haven't done much with it because as far as I know I can't get a custom recovery yet Correct??

I am having issues with a few things and I'm a little concerned with the phone. For 1 I have a hard time starting up my phone some times. It seems to keep restarting and I have to keep taking the battery out and it will work after a few times. 2nd the volume sometimes gets messed up with things I do.

I've been rooting for maybe close to 1 year now and by no means a expert here but I've never failed doing it.

So here is my question, I would like to know if there is anything I can do now to get a custom recovery now that some time has gone by. I see a lot of things going on but it's all things I've never seen or read about before. I'm just looking to get pointed in the right direction from the point I'm at right blessed which is rooted with Mj5.

also any of these options am I going to lose everything on my phone? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I had rooted myself on SM-N900A on MJ5 using Kingo and also used kingo to unroot too. No issues / No Knox tripping.

Floridaa

Jan 22, 2014
Rooting

So I have the ATT N900A and have tried rooting it or at least looked into it so far but when the forums say only certain version available I never find one that actually says N900A. I have seen others, but to be honest I am freshly new to all of this and I am learning it all slowly but surely. Can I get some help any one?

DrAzzy

Aug 7, 2011

Those are not normal issues to have on your phone, and I don't think they are related to the rooting; I think they are indicative of larger issues with the phone. I would unroot it so it looks stock, and assuming the problems persist, take it back to AT&T.

If unrooting fixes it, ofc, reroot and do it right this time (I don't know what method you used, or what might have gone wrong)

Do that BEFORE messing around with our poor-substitute for a custom recovery (safestrap) and custom ROM's.

enzosly

Jan 4, 2013
Those are not normal issues to have on your phone, and I don't think they are related to the rooting; I think they are indicative of larger issues with the phone. I would unroot it so it looks stock, and assuming the problems persist, take it back to AT&T.

If unrooting fixes it, ofc, reroot and do it right this time (I don't know what method you used, or what might have gone wrong)

Do that BEFORE messing around with our poor-substitute for a custom recovery (safestrap) and custom ROM's.

Well its funny because I did root my phone using the Vega root files but lol I just looked last night and I'm not rooted anymore... Maybe I took a update with out realizing it?? Ok so now that I'm not rooted what do I do?

If I just do a restart from stock what thread should I look at?

Or do I root again using the kingo .com thing? Wow I'm so lost with this phone. I have the s4 HTC one, nexus 5 and never have had these issues. Just when I start to think I'm getting g good at this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium HD app

DrAzzy

Aug 7, 2011
Well its funny because I did root my phone using the Vega root files but lol I just looked last night and I'm not rooted anymore... Maybe I took a update with out realizing it?? Ok so now that I'm not rooted what do I do?

Or do I root again using the kingo .com thing? Wow I'm so lost with this phone. I have the s4 HTC one, nexus 5 and never have had these issues. Just when I start to think I'm getting g good at this

Sigh - always, first thing after rooting, always freeze OTA updates, and wait to upgrade before people here say it works and there's a root available!

Since you're having suspicious issues, I would want to put on clean MJ5 firmware before continuing - get the system into a known state before continuing.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2559715

This will erase everything on your phone.

I would hold off on rooting and first check if the issues you mentioned in the OP are fixed, and if they are, then you can chalk it up to a software problem (pin the blame on the OTA update), and follow the instructions in that thread to get root.

enzosly

Jan 4, 2013
Sigh - always, first thing after rooting, always freeze OTA updates, and wait to upgrade before people here say it works and there's a root available!

Since you're having suspicious issues, I would want to put on clean MJ5 firmware before continuing - get the system into a known state before continuing.

I would hold off on rooting and first check if the issues you mentioned in the OP are fixed, and if they are, then you can chalk it up to a software problem (pin the blame on the OTA update), and follow the instructions in that thread to get root.

That's what I will do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Look at the safestrap thread. It is our version of recovery for locked bootloaders

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

At the top of this page if you just click where it says AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 you will see all our sections. Click on the Android Development link then search around there for safestrap by hashcode.