SO, here is my story. I had a SGS3, but the screen cracked, so I decided to use the money from the rebate to try out an iphone 5. I am unhappy with my iphone after using it for about a year and I would like to change phone asap. I am currently a verizon user and have time left on my contract. I would like to change carriers to straight talk so that I am no longer locked into a contract. I know that T-mobile is offering to pay of ETF's if you switch to their service, so I was planning to try the following. I understand this may not be the most morally right thing to do but it would make me the happiest and save the most money.
1. Switch my number over to an old flip phone (t-mobile requires you to turn in your current phone for market value and buy one of their phones, in order to pay of the ETF)
2. Sell my used iPhone 5 on Swappa (would generate more $ than the $200 t-mobile is offering for it)
3. trade in my old flip phone and have t-mobile pay off ETF of verizon, purchase a t-mobile phone of any value.
4. Sign up for 1 month of a t-mobile plan (as required by the current promo offer to pay off the ETF).
5. Sell the t-mobile phone, unopened, at the price I bought it for, and purchase an unlocked nexus 5 from swappa (using $ from iPhone 5 sale).
6. Sign up for straight talks $45/month plan under AT&T service (I do not get good service from t-mobile or this would not be an issue).
7. pay for 1 month on t-mobile service then cancel t-mobile and only pay for straight talk.
Overall, depending on the sale and purchase price of the phones, i hope that this transaction would only cost me <$100.
iPhone 5 Sale - ~~$400
t-mobile phone - buy and sell for same price
Nexus 5 on swappa - [~~$350 - $400]
pay for one month of unused t-mobile plan - [$30] (cheapest plan available).
Begin straight talk - sim card [$10]
Total - ~~$40
Does this plan seem to make sense? If not does anyone know what I could possibly due to avoid paying $200 in ETF from verizon but still switch to straight talk under AT&T service and get a Nexus 5 instead of an iphone 5?? Thanks!