XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T Galaxy s4 (SGH - I337) Unable to get 4.3 OTA

Tip us?

rsguy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] AT&T Galaxy s4 (SGH - I337) Unable to get 4.3 OTA

Hi, possibly a noob question, but I have searched and searched all forums but I am unable to get a complete answer.

I have my AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) simply rooted, no custom ROMs or anything. I don't recall the method I used for rooting. Root checker confirms device is rooted. It's on Android 4.2.2. It initially showed the custom unlock icon during bootup and device status was "custom". I followed the directions from a forum and installed SuperSU which updated the SuperSU binary and now the unlock icon is gone. Device status shows "official". I was unsure of my binary flash counter since it did not show in the download mode. I purchased and installed Triangle Away, and it shows binary flash counter is 0, binary is official, system is official, so I did not run the "Reset Flash Counter". Download Mode also shows custom binary download: none current binary: Samsung official.

So now my question is can I get an OTA update in this state? I have checked for updates and there are none. Do I need to unroot to get an OTA? My wife's Galaxy s3 was also rooted, yet it got an OTA update to android 4.3 just last week while rooted. If I need to unroot my S4, what is the safest way, given the status of my device?

Thanks for your help!

anomy13
Old
Thanks Meter 91
I suggest you to not to get the ota. I got the ota and the result was less than impressed. If u want touchwiz 4.3 just download it and flash it. If u update to 4.3 via kies or ota it will install a knox bootloader which will not allow u to downgrade os anymore as well as void ur warranty because it keeps track of custom settings.

Triangle away will no longer be useful as it is a seperate counter beside the knox.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Samsung GS2X
Current Rom: BlackLiquid v2.91
Kernel: Uber Lite
Recovery: TWRP v2.4

DeadlySin9
Old
Thanks Meter 394

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsguy View Post
Hi, possibly a noob question, but I have searched and searched all forums but I am unable to get a complete answer.

I have my AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) simply rooted, no custom ROMs or anything. I don't recall the method I used for rooting. Root checker confirms device is rooted. It's on Android 4.2.2. It initially showed the custom unlock icon during bootup and device status was "custom". I followed the directions from a forum and installed SuperSU which updated the SuperSU binary and now the unlock icon is gone. Device status shows "official". I was unsure of my binary flash counter since it did not show in the download mode. I purchased and installed Triangle Away, and it shows binary flash counter is 0, binary is official, system is official, so I did not run the "Reset Flash Counter". Download Mode also shows custom binary download: none current binary: Samsung official.

So now my question is can I get an OTA update in this state? I have checked for updates and there are none. Do I need to unroot to get an OTA? My wife's Galaxy s3 was also rooted, yet it got an OTA update to android 4.3 just last week while rooted. If I need to unroot my S4, what is the safest way, given the status of my device?

Thanks for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomy13 View Post
I suggest you to not to get the ota. I got the ota and the result was less than impressed. If u want touchwiz 4.3 just download it and flash it. If u update to 4.3 via kies or ota it will install a knox bootloader which will not allow u to downgrade os anymore as well as void ur warranty because it keeps track of custom settings.

Triangle away will no longer be useful as it is a seperate counter beside the knox.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
What anomy13 said only applies if you have the MDL firmware. Check your baseband/build number and reply with it. If it's MDL, then you can have a custom recovery and flash the StockUp ROM to update without losing the bootloaders, but if you're on MF3 then you're just as out of luck as on MK2 as the knox counter can be avoided easily and is not the same as the custom system checker.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)